Hauling Motor Scooters

Old 10-16-22, 10:10 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hauling Motor Scooters

Hello Folks,

Don't known whether or not this is the right forum section but seems to be closest subject area concerning my question.

I have 4 motor scooters (69cc, 150cc, 250cc, 250cc) located in my place in Mid-Michigan. I intend to move to Indiana and would need them hauled to Indiana. Would anyone know the most cost-effective way of hauling them (besides doing it myself)?

Last edited by tk3000; 10-16-22 at 10:27 AM.

Top Answer

10-16-22, 03:32 PM
Dixie2012
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I agree, if you're going to end up doing it yourself, a U-Haul trailer will be the right way to do it. Make SURE, the trailer you get has either;
1) "D" Rings in the floor.... enough of them to strap down 4 scooters, or
2) "E" track in the trailer. Sometimes E track can be on the floor but typically on the side walls.. sometimes on the front wall & rear door. Then you'll need either regular straps with hooks on the ends for the D Rings, or special E track strap. If the rental doesn't come with straps, you can buy them at most places like Harbor Freight or the big box stores etc.

Unless you're going to physically pick up these scooters & put them in the trailer manually, you'll also need to get a trailer with a ramp rear door so you can roll/push/ride the scooters into the trailer... & back out again.

Old 10-16-22, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Roughly 350 miles.
I'd consider a U-Haul trailer.

If you search for shipping services many are listed but it's not going to be inexpensive.

tk3000 voted this post useful.
Old 10-16-22, 11:57 AM
T
Yeah, I guess I will have to do it myself. A Uhaul motorcycle trailer seems like the safest and cheapest option available, but that would entail 4 round trips (I really hate long distance driving)

Old 10-16-22, 12:22 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
I believe PJMax is suggesting a cargo trailer, not a motorcycle trailer. Measure length and width of each scooter, then check Uhaul website for cargo trailer dimensions and pick one to fit and make 1 trip. I doubt any disassembly would reduce space required. One way trip cost more than round trip.

Old 10-16-22, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Definitely a cargo trailer. I didn't even know they offered a motorcycle trailer.
U-Haul trailers

Old 10-16-22, 03:32 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I agree, if you're going to end up doing it yourself, a U-Haul trailer will be the right way to do it. Make SURE, the trailer you get has either;
1) "D" Rings in the floor.... enough of them to strap down 4 scooters, or
2) "E" track in the trailer. Sometimes E track can be on the floor but typically on the side walls.. sometimes on the front wall & rear door. Then you'll need either regular straps with hooks on the ends for the D Rings, or special E track strap. If the rental doesn't come with straps, you can buy them at most places like Harbor Freight or the big box stores etc.

Unless you're going to physically pick up these scooters & put them in the trailer manually, you'll also need to get a trailer with a ramp rear door so you can roll/push/ride the scooters into the trailer... & back out again.

sdodder, tk3000 voted this post useful.
Old 10-17-22, 01:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The problem with Uhaul trailers is even if they have E tracks or plenty of tie downs you need to provide the hardware. D rings you can make work with regular ratchet straps and rope. D rings would require you to but a fair number of straps.

I would contact a few motorcycle shops and let them know what you need. You could also contact a few used car lots. They probably can put you in touch with someone experienced moving motorcycles. They would have a trailer and all the strapping needed. You'd be paying for their service but not renting a trailer and buying a pile of straps so the price could be reasonable.

Old 10-17-22, 02:51 PM
T
Dixie2012, Pjmax, Pilot Dane:

Yeah, doing it myself is the best option. I am even considering buying a trailer in the near future. But, for now, I will rent one. Wish I could install some wheel chokes but would require drilling in the floorboard which is big no-no I assume. Wouldn't an enclosed cargo trailer be safer?

The S-Hooks with integrated safety clips was a great hint, and I have not considered them. It seems that most trailers come with D-rings, but I have not heard about the E Track straps.

I took that into account. Having a trailer was a major consideration because of its lower clearance to the ground and the fact the typically it would come with a ramp and rear door; instead of loading a bike on a truck bed for instance.

beelzebob: no disassembly would likely be required. Maybe some plastic panel depending on the route of the straps, and possibly the mirrors. Yeah, one trip only could be cheaper, but I may have to come back anyways to take care of some unresolved business which would make the round trip inevitable.

Old 10-18-22, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Do some research on how to strap down a motorcycle. Because of the suspension it's not as simple as it may seem. Done incorrectly you hit a bump on the road and the bike's suspensions compress which allows the ropes or straps to loosen or even come completely loose.

Old 10-20-22, 06:40 PM
T
Pilot Dane:

I do have some straps and bought some heavy-duty ones. Besides, it is something that I can used again in the future i this type of situation and other situations. Also, have wheel chocks that I bought few years ago; but there is no use for them if I can not bolt or screw them to the trailer.

It will be unlikely for me to tow all 4 bikes at the same time. Towing two bikes in a single trip would be a big plus already (2 round trips instead of 4).

In any event, that's not a trip that is going to take place any time soon. It is probably going to be in 6- or 12-months' time. Before taking on the endeavor alone I would do some test runs locally, etc, and if I feel comfortable and safe doing then I will do it; otherwise, I will look into other options as you suggested. Maybe taking backroads instead of the interstates would a good idea. As of now, I am just trying to have a better grasp of the whole process.

Old 10-26-22, 02:53 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
What rental companies and cargo trailer sizes have you researched?

Old 10-26-22, 11:46 PM
T
beelzebob:

I don't quite remember all the ones I looked up online (maybe about 8 rentals and haulers). I did a rather cursory search, not an in-depth one. As pointed out before, I am not in need to haul the bikes any time soon (likely in 6 t 12 months time).

Off the top of my mind, I looked into the following:

https://trailerconsignmentsllc.com/t...5-5d302901d201

they seem to rent enclosed cargo trailers with a wheel chock mounted inside.

Also, the obvious choices like uhaul which have lower rental prices are in my radar as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question