Briggs and Stratton Carburetor Cleaning

Old 03-25-16, 05:35 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Briggs and Stratton Carburetor Cleaning

I have a standard Briggs and Stratton Carburetor (the kind with the aluminum fuel bowl on the bottom, white plastic float with needle & seat) that needs a good cleaning. It has sat since last fall with bad gas in it. I have a gallon of Berryman Chemtool carb cleaner, is it OK to soak these little carbs in that cleaner with the plastic parts they have in them? I'm thinking a dip and a good blast with aerosol carb cleaner would do it just fine but I don't want to mess it up. This one came off of a Sears lawn mower but I have 2 B&S generators with this exact same carb on it.

TexasFire

Old 03-25-16, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I usually use spray cleaner on them, not sure if the dip will hurt them or not. It might hurt the rubber o-ring material and the rubber needle tip. The plastic usually comes clean pretty easily. Don't lose the brass jet in the center of the plastic piece, that falls out sometimes.

Old 03-26-16, 07:33 AM
T
I found this searching on a different forum. I have a 1 gallon can so I'm about to go out to determine which product I have.

Berryman offers two different products under the Chem-Dip Carburetor & Parts Cleaner name. Part #0996 is a 1-gallon can that is completely safe on the vast majority of plastics, rubber, and paint but can be aggressive towards aluminum and aluminum alloy carburetors if soaked for long. If you use 0996, please limit your soak time to 30-minute intervals with a maximum of 2-4 hours. Part #0905 is a 5-gallon product that is very aggressive towards many types of plastic, rubber, and paint but is completely safe for extended soak times with all metals.

Old 03-27-16, 08:52 PM
T
I DID have the #0996 safe dip, I dipped the carb for about 2 hours & blasted it clear with carb cleaner. Mower runs like brand new!

TexasFire

Old 04-30-16, 08:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The salesman at Auto zone told me it's the same. The number if different cause it's in a bigger can and no part basket..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: