Can't start new Honda engine

Old 04-25-16, 12:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't start new Honda engine

Hi - I have a new power washer powered by a Honda quick start engine. It was only fired up once before storing for the winter (with fuel stabilizer). Now it won't start up, and my other Honda 4 stroke engine (lawnmower) fired right up, same fuel. I think the problem is the power washer tipped over in the shed - could the oil somehow have mixed in with the gas? If so, what would be the best solution? Drain and toss the gas and refuel? Any other suggestions?

Thx!

Old 04-25-16, 12:21 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
It is more likely if it was tipped with the carb on the bottom that oil saturated the air filter. Try starting it with the air filter removed, if it starts replace the airr filter with a new one. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-25-16, 12:59 PM
B
Thanks for the feedback Geo - that was mostly it. I took off the cover & it was very oily, cleaned out the house best I could & tried starting. It started on the fist pull but only ran for a couple of seconds - while spitting out oil from the exhaust. Now the pull start is very difficult and it won't start. I'll let it sit for awhile - could oil have gotten elsewhere that needs to be cleaned out?

Old 04-25-16, 01:14 PM
Pull the spark plug and turn it over a few times. Check your plug too for oily gremlins ~~~

Old 04-25-16, 01:39 PM
B
Thanks, plug was a bit oily so I cleaned it. Didn't start, very hard to pull the starter rope. Why would that be?

Old 04-25-16, 02:15 PM
I
Oil or gas probably filled the crankshaft. Oil/gas doesnt compress well.

Id open the oil fill spot and make sure its not over full. If it is drain some out until it at the full mark.

Old 04-25-16, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have had some oil get by the rings into the upper cylinder, remove the plug and pull the engine a few times and see if any thing sprays out the plug hole. Check the oil level and smell it for gas, if it smells of gas it should be changed.

Old 04-26-16, 09:29 AM
B
Guys - thanks for the input, it all was great. Air filter was oily, as was the plug and the oil smelled like gas. I drained it, refilled and the unit works perfectly! Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: