Adjusting Toro mower to push easier

Old 05-19-16, 12:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Adjusting Toro mower to push easier

I have a Toro Model 20382 push mower. Is there an adjustment that will allow the mower to push easier? The manual calls out an adjustment “Adjusting the Self-Propel Drive.” It is to increase or decrease the mower’s traction.

If I were to increase the traction, would that allow the mower to push easier? Or, is there another adjustment I could use?

Jerry

Old 05-20-16, 05:32 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Mower

If the self-propelled feature is working correctly, you should not have to push the mower. That is why it is self-propelled. Increase the self-propelled adjustment.

Old 05-20-16, 07:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the return. Yes, the mower is self-propelled. But the Toro mechanism is such you still have to apply a downward motion on the handle to get it to move. And, doing that, it will go as fast as you can push it. When mowing a slight grade is when you notice the additional pushing effort.

So, I will increase the traction and see if it helps.

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 05-20-16, 02:49 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Traction

But the Toro mechanism is such you still have to apply a downward motion on the handle to get it to move
Pushing down on the handle could be causing the front wheels to be slightly elevated, in which case the front wheels would have less traction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: