craftsman lawn mower wont start

Old 07-23-16, 07:54 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
craftsman lawn mower wont start

very confused.

replaced the solenoid twice. replaced the starter. jumped every safety switch and it will not start only clicks.

the only way i can get it to start is if i get my jump pack put the positive on the starter and negative on a ground. then it will run fine. this is with all the safety switches connected. so is it safe to say the safety switches arent the problem?

once i found this out i assumed it was the solenoid thats why i tried another solenoid. but got a new one and same problem. the only other thing i can think is its a bad solenoid ground maybe?? or maybe the ignition switch?

grass is getting long lol

Old 07-23-16, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Do you have a test light or voltmenter? My first guess is that you have a bad ground connection where the neg battery cable bolts to the frame. Common problem.

Old 07-23-16, 08:34 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Full model number would be helpful so we can look up the schematic.

I suggest you get a cheap multi-meter if you don't have one as it will help you track down the issue.

To narrow it quickly, carefully jump the terminals of the solenoid. If it doesn't crank then, but does when you use your jump pack right at the starter, then you have a problem between battery and solenoid or solenoid and starter. If it cranks, then you have an ignition switch issue or a safety issue.

Old 07-24-16, 09:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make sure connections are tight. Battery been tested?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: