Craftsman self propelled transmission

Old 09-03-16, 08:29 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Craftsman self propelled transmission

Working on my daughters mower, thinking the sacrificial plastic ring gear on the front wheel drive shaft in the self propelled transmission is worn out. I've got the axle and transmission assembly out but can't get the two halves of the transmission apart. I'm assuming that it is "glued" together with some type of gasket glue. The housing is plastic so I don't want to get too heavy handed with it. Any ideas? I've tapped it gently with a block of wood. I don't have a dead blow hammer but may go get one. The only pry point is where the axle exits the transmission. I do want to bugger that up by prying on it. The pic of one separated is a screen shot of a You Tube tutorial.
TexasFire

Attached Images   
Old 09-03-16, 08:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It's glued together with RTV sealant. You can see it all over the half in the screenshot. Pry it open.

Old 09-04-16, 05:58 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The shaft that pivots to engage and disengage the worm gear wasn't moving freely. Copious amounts of spray lubricant and working it back and forth helped a whole bunch. I was able to get the drive gear to engage and disengage. Put it all back together and it seems to be working OK. I would have taken a single edge razor blade to it if I had decided to go ahead and separate it,
TexasFire

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: