Honda HR214 GXV120 Leaked Gas When On Its Side

Old 09-09-16, 02:46 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honda HR214 GXV120 Leaked Gas When On Its Side

I tipped it on its side, carb up, and gas dripped off the muffler cover. I assumed it came out of the new carb's bowl and through the heatsink fins around the cylinder, but I couldn't find a wet spot. When I installed the carb, I used the same gaskets that were on the spacer because they looked okay. The bowl was on tight, and the bowl bolts were too. I had also checked the rocker arm gaps and didn't bother to use a new valve cover gasket.

It runs fine, except for a barely audible misfire every few seconds.

Where did the gas come from (and what's causing that misfire)?

Old 09-09-16, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Likely the gas came from the carb bowl via the same path it enters the engine when running. If you shut your fuel valve off prior, the likely only what was in the bowl leaked, either way, you might check your oil level and oil for signs of gas and change the oil.

As for the misfire....it needs a bit more explanation of "misfire" Could be the plug a bit fouled or oil level over full...????

Old 09-10-16, 05:08 PM
R
It did come from the bowl, but I don't understand why. I tipped it over again today, but I had my flashlight ready. The fuel comes out of a channel between the carb and the spacer, engine side. Both the carb and the spacer have a channel that goes around the intake hole. I'll try to put pictures below.

Name:  Honda carburator spacer.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  22.4 KB

Name:  Honda carburator engine side.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  12.6 KB

The fist picture is a diagram of the carb-engine spacer. If I'm recalling correctly, the gasket has a little hole or two that connects the two channels. I might be wrong on that.

Anyway, I don't get it. Why would there be a channel that, what?, allows air in and/or fuel out? Apparently the fuel comes out that little hole at the top left of the channel in the picture of the carb. Does air suck through that channel when it's running? What gives?

If that little port lets air in, well, it's unfiltered air. That can't be it.

By the way, the gasket between the spacer and the carb does not plug that opening at the bottom.

Confused. Does everybody's GXV120 spill the bowl when tipped?

Old 09-10-16, 06:17 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
There is a vent to let air in and out of the carb bowl, if it didn't have a vent it would not fill or empty. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-10-16, 06:42 PM
R
Aww, I get it. That makes sense. Thanks, geogrubb.

BFHfixit, you wrote this:

As for the misfire....it needs a bit more explanation of "misfire" Could be the plug a bit fouled or oil level over full...????
Well, I adjusted the pilot screw to the highest RPM by ear. There was no black smoke--no smoke at all, really--but it smelled rich. Took the plug out, and it was covered in dry carbon. So I guess my mixture is a little rich, right? I bought a cheap RPM meter because of that, and I'm going to measure the engine speed directly tomorrow. So, no more guessing.

I wonder if a fuel additive would help.

As for the oil, it appeared to be right on the mark, but I'll look again tomorrow. Also, I bought a new plug. The one I have doesn't look bad, but it's pretty old. I'll be changing that out next week when it arrives. After I adjust the speed and change the plug, I'll report back on the misfiring.

Thanks again for the help, you guys.

Old 09-10-16, 08:43 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Honda's are very fussy about their spark plug, when in doubt on a Honda, get a new plug. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-11-16, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why are you needing to tip it in the first place?
If you need to access the underneath, pin the handle bars to the ground, the engine is designed to be tipped this way.
The "pilot" screw on this carb is for idle mixture. While it can have a slight effect on high speed that is not its purpose. If you look inside the throat you can see the orifice that the jet screws into. Notice when the throttle valve is nearly closed it will be over this orifice since there is not enough air going through the throat to draw fuel up the main jet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: