My Ariens snowblower won't start?

Old 11-20-16, 11:12 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My Ariens snowblower won't start?

I have an old Arien Snowblower. I am having difficulty starting the machine as it wont start when I pull the recoil cord and gives a weird squeak when I pull the chord. I just cleaned out the gar tank as it was rusty with Apple Cider Vinegar and replaced the gas line to the carburetor as it was leaking. Now when I go to start it it won't turn on and just a weird squeak when I pull the cord. Any ideas?

Old 11-20-16, 11:29 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
How long do you estimate that it was sitting there with old gas in the tank, gas line and carburetor ?

I gather that it does not have an AC Starter; just the recoil ?

Old 11-20-16, 11:30 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Difficult to provide advice with such a short history. If there is no filter between the gas tank and carb, I would remove the carb, dismantle it as much as I can and clean it using carb cleaner and air pressure, Reassemble insuring correct float level and give it a try. Good luck.

Old 11-20-16, 01:40 PM
B
It was sitting for a year before it was given to me then I was able to get it running. Then it sat through this past summer and started up again but was giving me issues so I decided to clean out the gas tank and fuel line thinking the gunk in them were causing the problems. Now it won't fully start up when I pull just squeaks.

It only has a recoil starter on it.

Any advice aswell on how to use the throttle screw and how deep it needs to go into the carburetor? I was messing about with the carb when I was cleaning it out.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-16, 01:47 PM
V
I suspect you'll have to reveal what make of engine is on it, and then the Carburetor. Most initial settings on carb jets measure from the closed position (clockwise) and then being loosened (counter-clockwise) 1¼ to 1½ turns . . . . but that varies by manufacturer.

I gather that you don't have an Owner's Manual ?

Old 11-20-16, 02:16 PM
B
I just got it started I found a loose screw when I took of the gas tank which wasn't allowing the proper compression in the engine. Now the engine is firing but shutting off after a few seconds. Guessing the carburetor settings are wrong. I will try closing it and giving it a 1 1/2 turns counter clockwise and see what happens. Are there any other settings on the carb I should be looking at?

It is a Techumseh engine
Engine Model: HS40-55265B

Old 11-20-16, 02:19 PM
B
To add to that should you ever see gas coming out of the throttle body. It seems like there is a small about and when I was first firing up the engine I could had swore I saw a spark in there?

Old 11-20-16, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A spark in the throttle bore ?

Usually gas flowing out of there signifies a float issue.

Old 11-20-16, 02:31 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Power tools like this that only get little seasonal use are always going to be an issue.
By now that carb. is all gummed up and needs to be completely taken apart and at least cleaned with carb. cleaner and a rebuild kit.
Just blowing it out with air is not going to cut it.
Want to avoid future issues, only use non ethanol gas, at the end of the year add some Stabol and run it until it runs out of fuel.

Old 11-20-16, 05:01 PM
B
Is it dangerous to try and start it with a float problem and and some fluid build up in the throttle body. Are there any adjustments that can fix this?

Old 11-21-16, 03:49 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
There aren't any adjustments for that bender1227. That problem is typically a float valve not sealing off the incoming fuel to the carburetor. That can be in the valve, the seat or the float itself. A lot of times just cleaning the valve seat takes care of it.

It's not a good idea to run an engine in that condition from not only the fire hazard consideration, but also the fuel contaminating the crankcase oil. The latter needs to be changed after the leakage is stopped.

Old 11-21-16, 12:53 PM
B
It seems that the leaking fuel problem has subsided but now that snowblower runs but idles high then low. What can cause this?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-16, 01:12 PM
V
If it's surging at idle, when not under any load, then it may be this common problem with Tecumseh Snowblower carburetors:

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0STIPg4I8

Old 11-21-16, 01:31 PM
B
Great point, what I am trying to figure out is how to set the settings on the carburetor. How many turns out does the idle mixture valve get, the main mixture, and the idle screw itself. I am having trouble finding the perfect settings.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-16, 02:23 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Use 1 1/4 out from lightly seated on the mixture screws. Set the idle speed so it keeps running.

Then turn the idle mixture in until it starts to falter, then back out until it smooths out. Then at full throttle set the load screw the same way. Then go back to the idle speed and set it.

When you start using it in snow you may have to turn the load screw out just a little.

Old 11-26-16, 12:21 PM
B
I plan on replacing the carb on this snowblower. How do I find the model number or part number so I make sure I order the correct one?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-16, 12:59 PM
B
This is the engine model number:
HS40-55265B
Tecumseh

Also I see these numbers on the carburetor:
320 of 16

Old 11-26-16, 01:15 PM
B
Attached are the pictures of the carb

Attached Images    
Old 11-26-16, 01:46 PM
V
Here's the Schematic for that engrine from Partstree:

Tecumseh HS40-55265B - Tecumseh 4-Cycle Horizontal Engine Engine Parts List #1 Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

It looks like your Carburetor on this chart is #237 - Tecumseh Part #631535; but it's no longer available through Partstree.

With the Part #, you may find it somewhere else; or an aftermarket substitute Carb.

Old 11-26-16, 07:09 PM
B
The schematic calls for Tecumseh Part #631535 but that doesn't relate to the part number on the carburetor itself. According to this website http://www.tecumsehcarburetorguide.c...dentification/ and the list on it it should part number 632535. This is because the number on the carburetor itself is 320 of 16. I took the 320 and looked it up on that list and it gave me that part number. Any insight into this? If you look at the pictures I posted it will show you those numbers.

Old 11-26-16, 07:13 PM
B
Can you also explain how all the screws work on the carb? I have three screws a fuel mixture screw, idle mixture screw, and an idle screw? How do they would related to the carburetor?

Old 11-27-16, 04:37 AM
V
Have you owned that Snowblower since it was new, or the Engine since it was installed ?

I ask because the engine may have a history before you became acquainted with it, and it may have already had a replacement carburetor installed on it.

Sometimes these manufacturers will change the nomenclature mid way through a model number; but there's usually a note made regarding the exact serial number where the change was implemented.

I didn't see anything of that nature in the partstree schematic; but you'd have to go to an official Tecumseh website to be absolutely sure . . . . and the original Tecumseh Company has since shut down (due to globalization ?).

Old 11-27-16, 05:50 AM
V
Originally Posted by bender1227
". . . Can you also explain how all the screws work on the carb? . . ."
I can't with any certainty; but here's a link to a Tecumseh Service Manual that covers your HS40:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

Hopefully, you'll have that puppy back up and running before the first snow hits Jersey . . . . we've already had ours.

Old 11-27-16, 07:04 AM
B
Valid points thanks Vermont. I ordered a new carb from Searspartsdirect.com. When I reinstall the new carb should I do anything besides just install it and start to run the machine.

Yeahhh I should have it up and running before the snow gets bad here lol.

Old 11-27-16, 07:50 AM
V
A new Carburetor may (should) have some instructions with it; if not, refer to the Tecumseh Service Manual for the basic settings.

Does the new carburetor have the Idle Restrictor Screw which was the subject of the video I recommended earlier for your "surging" issue in Post#13 ?

Let's hope that the carburetor was the source of your problems, and that a just good cleaning wouldn't/couldn't have solved the issues IF it was the problem.

Good Luck !

Last edited by Vermont; 11-27-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 11:52 AM
B
There was no picture of the new carb but it did say it was a direct replacement of the old one. Here is the part number for the new one.

I think the float was causing alot of the issues as I had the settings on the carb correct 1 to 1 1/4 turns out on both the fuel mixture and the idle mixture and no madder what I did with the idle screw it still surged up and down. The carb was about 90$ so if it fixes the problem I will be happy as the snowblower is a brute! lol

Here is the part number for the new carb:
631794A

Old 11-27-16, 01:16 PM
V
Originally Posted by bender1227
". . . and no matter what I did with the idle screw it still surged up and down . . ."
It was the Idle Restrictor Screw that I referred to in Post #13; which often causes the surging that you experienced. Looking at the schematic of the new carb 631794A (on Partstree*) indicates that it doesn't have such a screw; but your current carb may have . . . . and simply cleaning it of gasoline deposits it as per the donyboy video I recommended, would usually solve that "surging" problem.

*The Partstree illustrations have a disclaimer saying they may not depict actual models or equipment and are intended as representative for reference only !

Old 12-07-16, 01:32 PM
B
The machine surged both in idle and with a full load. I have put the new carburetor on but am having trouble putting the cables back on it which control the load. Pretty much the piece of metal that connects to the carb which opens and closes the throttle shutter.

Thanks

Old 12-11-16, 05:17 PM
B
I was able to get the machine running thanks for all your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: