Craftsman 26" 6Hp snowblower not working.

Old 12-11-16, 02:21 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 26" 6Hp snowblower not working.

I have a real old craftsman 26" 13.55 cu. In. 6hp snowblower thats acting up. After finally getting it started for first time this year it ran decent for about 20 mins. It shut off on its own and I can only getting it to run for 3 seconds now. In order to get it started I need to have the choke and throttle just right. It will only run when choke is on and die if I try to take off choke. Its never really ran great as I got it free from neighbor and was hoping to get one more season out of it. Any and all advice is welcome as I am far from mechanically inclined. Thanks

Old 12-11-16, 02:29 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Post the model number for the blower so we can look up what you have. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-11-16, 02:38 PM
M
It is 536-82562 ad8. I can't find anything with that model #. Hope you guys can! Thanks

Old 12-11-16, 03:17 PM
M
Found another model # on it. 143-586232

Old 12-11-16, 03:39 PM
G
First make sure you have fresh fuel, fresh from the station not fresh from last years can, now clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl nut, this it the main jet, you will lose a little fuel when the nut is removed, now turn the adjustment screw in the bowl nut clockwise to seat counting the turns, probably about 1-1/2, don't over tighten it, now remove the screw and clean it very well, now clean the bowl nut, there are several holes one down the center, one across the bottom and a tiny one near the top, I clean it withe wire from a twist tie. Now reassemble everything setting the adjustment screw to its original setting and you should be good to go. Refer to the pic below for the above mentioned holes. have a good one.
Geo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74324[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 12-11-16, 04:56 PM
M
Thanks for the quick response geo. I had fresh gas and ran tank dry last winter before storing so that shouldn't be the problem. I did take the bowl nut out and it was pretty clean but ran the twist tie wire through the holes just to make sure. Put it back together and BAM fired up on second pull but only ran for 3 seconds! Really got my hopes up! lol Are you thinking it's not getting enough gas? There's a fuel shut off screw on bottom of gas tank that has a tiny leak, and has a zip tie instead of hose clamp holding fuel line to tank. Maybe I should address this first? Thanks again!

Old 12-12-16, 07:32 AM
G
The carb probably needs a good cleaning and adjustments. Below is a link to the service manual for your engine. Have a good one. Geo

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

Old 12-16-16, 03:39 PM
M
Awesome. I'll check it out. Thanks again. Will need it tomorrow morning!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: