Auger Handle Weak

Old 12-30-16, 07:43 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Auger Handle Weak

Toro 824 Power Shift
Model 38540

Blowing for an hour then the handle that propels the auger suddenly got real weak, noticed it wasn't blowing snow. With it empty the auger will turn.

Took the belt cover off and everything looks okay except the belts are probably looser than they should be, haven't adjusted them in the 20 years I've owned it.

Auger belt is next to the chute disengaged:

Name:  blower 1.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  50.9 KB

With the handle engaged the pulley seems to go all the way to the stop so I'd guess the cable is okay:

Name:  blower 2.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  49.1 KB

Pulleys from the other side:

Name:  blower 3.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  53.4 KB

So, could the belt suddenly get that loose or do I have a spring broke somewhere that I can't see?

Thanks as always

Old 12-31-16, 05:53 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
In the bottom picture the belt on the right isn't tracking straight. It looks like the driven pulley may have slipped to the inside. Maybe a sheer pin broke?

Old 12-31-16, 05:55 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd start by changing the belts, see how low the belt on the right is sitting in the middle of the pulley.

Old 12-31-16, 07:29 AM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
The first thing to check is the main impeller bearing pull up on the big auger pulley to see if there is any play in the bearing. Next check if the impeller shear bolts are broken let us know.

Old 12-31-16, 08:32 AM
B
Soon as it warms up a little I'll go take another look. The belt riding low and not lined up (doesn't look right to me) is actually the belt for the wheels.

Here's the only picture I have taken 5 years ago, everything looks about the same.

Be back soon.

Thanks

Old 12-31-16, 06:39 PM
B
With the handle engaged the pulley seems to go all the way to the stop so I'd guess the cable is okay...
I guess not. While bending down I looked up and noticed strands under the lever, only one strand still holding. I guess that is why it suddenly felt weak. While trying to adjust the belt a little the last strand let go.

Luckily Toro has a free downloadable service manual and parts list, all I had was the Operator's Manual. Ordered me a new cable and belt, hope that will do it.

The first thing to check is the main impeller bearing pull up on the big auger pulley to see if there is any play in the bearing. Next check if the impeller shear bolts are broken let us know.
Shear pins are good and all the pulleys seem tight, no play at all. The manual says the spring on the cable should have .010 gap in the middle... I didn't have any. Sure wish I had know all it takes is a half inch wrench on the cable to adjust the belt tension, nothing to it.

Thanks! And I WILL have heat in my garage by next winter come hell or high water.

Old 01-02-17, 06:32 PM
B
Is there any way to get the impeller cable off without taking out the center pin and having everything come loose?

About the belt. It was at rest when I took the picture and I must have bumped it while checking the pulleys, with a little tension on it it tracks straight as an arrow.

Thanks

Old 01-14-17, 08:10 AM
B
Very Simple Repair

My problem was looking in the maintenance section, it would show how to adjust everything but not take it apart. After much reading I had to go to Section 4 Idler System to release the bottom part then go to Section 1 Power Shift Controls to release from the lever. Just two screws then remove guard. After doing it once I could now change both cables in an half hour or so.

My buddy had a Toro 824 and he said I should clean the rubber wheel that changes speeds. After a lot more reading it looks like I have a transmission rather than a rubber wheel for the Power Shift.

Name:  tranny.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  26.9 KB

Manual says it has Lubriplate@ Mag 1 Grease in it rather than a liquid lubricant. Do you think it would be a good idea to remove it this summer, take it apart and re-grease it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: