Toro Tecumseh 20016 lawnmower not starting after winter storage

Old 04-26-17, 07:31 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Toro Tecumseh 20016 lawnmower not starting after winter storage

Hi I would like to know what could be the issue when I cannot start my Toro push lawnmower. It has successfully been running for 15 seasons. I replaced the spark plug and tested the spark plug by grounding it to the engine and it is getting spark. I pulled the spark plug and it is wet with gas, also the red straw tube coming out of the carburetor to the air cleaner is wet with gas. The only thing I haven't tried is repair or replace the carburetor. Is that the next step? I removed old gas from the system and replaced with fresh gas. I use fuel stabilizer from season to season and the old gas was red from that product. I removed the air filter and tried to start it and nothing changes. The engine is not firing with any exhaust.

Old 04-26-17, 09:48 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Take out the plug and spin it over a few times with the throttle full and the choke open.

Then put a spoonfull of gas down the plug hole and see if it will fire with full throttle, no choke. It will take a few pulls. After it fires, hopefully, go to half choke and full throttle. It should take off.

It's usually gas residue that contributes to a flooded condition on first start of the season. Once you get that out of the way you should be good for the season.

Old 04-26-17, 10:36 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It started after a few more pulls

Thanks for your reply, I took the spark plug out and cleaned the tip with rag. Also I spun the engine a few times with the spark plug out as a check for compression. I reinstalled the spark plug, then I primed the engine 3 times like in the owners manual. It started right up after that. I think that the fresh gas in the carburetor may have helped. The other day I did remove the screw from under the carburetor bowl with a box wrench and drained all the old gas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: