personal pace wont start

Old 06-28-17, 11:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
personal pace wont start

So I have this personal pace piece of junk mower. It worked last year but this year no go. I have been poking at it recently to figure out why it won't start.
We bought it used, and it needed the cable to make it "pace".
Each year I've had to put a new plug in it because it wouldn't start. Did that this year though and still no go. I removed the plug and grounded it to the block and bumped the starter, it has spark, but seems weak to me.
With the plug installed, I spray some starting fluid in it and it has no fire though.

I'm wondering about adjusting the magnet on the ignition module. If I move it closer to the flywheel should the spark increase? I read that it should be .006 - .010" gap, basically a business card gap. Mine right now has about 3 cards gap...I know I need to adjust it, just checking to see if this sounds like it would help the spark.

Thanks

Old 06-28-17, 12:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Setting the proper gap to the coil can improve ignition though a starting problem, especially if you are having trouble every year is most often caused by the carburetor or fuel.

Old 06-28-17, 01:39 PM
M
yeah, the carb was also very dusty on the outside. I did remove it and place it into ultrasonic cleaner for a bit. It is much cleaner now, I haven't installed it yet though.

I'm concerned about the gap of the coil and how it relates to spark.

Old 06-28-17, 04:03 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Post the model number for the mower so we can find what engine it has. To clean a carb without dissembling it is a waste of time, the dirt on the outside doesn't keep it from running, if it is a briggs engine and has a bowl type carb the nut that holds the bowl on is the main jet and gets clogged, it has a hole down the center and one across the bottom clean it real good put it all back together add fresh gas, fresh from the station not from a can that has set for 2 years and you will be good to go. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-28-17, 08:35 PM
M
It's a Toro 20018
I don't recall the engine manufacturer off the top of my head. It's a 6.5hp which has electric starter.
Gas is new, carb does have the bottom bolt that I did remove and the bowl is clean.
I put the carb in an ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 minutes, then blew it out with low pressure air.

Old 06-29-17, 08:17 AM
G
Based on the model number the Toro site says it is a Teumseh engine which changes things a little, the bowl nut is the main jet however it has an additional hole for the low speed circuit, it is right next to the top thread of the bolt and is almost invisible, I clean it with the wire from a twist tie, refer to the pic below. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-29-17, 02:30 PM
M
Ok, I'll give it a look when I get a minute.
With that said I'm still curious why it wouldn't fire when I sprayed it with starting fluid...

Old 06-29-17, 04:28 PM
G
Without being there and doing the spraying I can't answer why it didn't fire, starter fluid evaporates very quickly, it depends where it was sprayed, I think on that engine the carb butterfly is closed when the engine is off, so if you sprayed in the carb throat with the engine off and waited a while while you adjusted all the things a guy adjusts before pulling the rope it probably evaporated. Try putting a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug hole. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-05-17, 11:45 AM
M
So I checked the carb over last night before installing. The jets mentioned are clear, I can see light through them, the bowl is also clean.
Setting the gap on the ignition...
Put it all back together and same deal, seems to sputter like trying to start, but nothing.
I did put gas in the spark plug hole while I checked the plug again, threw it back together quick and no deal.
What I noticed is, it seems like the ignition coil moves very easy even after being tightened. I set the gap, then run the bolts down, after a few pulls of the cord though, the coil is hitting the flywheel now.

I feel like there is something so easy that is being missed with this thing...

Old 07-05-17, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't know about easy..... but if the coil screws don't hold it in place.... that is a major problem. You need to determine if the tapped holes are stripped or the bolts are stripped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: