I want to tackle rebuilding a pressure washer pump

Old 08-22-17, 06:28 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I want to tackle rebuilding a pressure washer pump

Anybody successfully rebuild a pump of the type shown in the picture?
My pressure washer output surges but has gotten to the point it's now low pressure 90% of the time. I have a CH 3200psi unit with an Italian Annovi Reverberi triplex pump. I can find rebuild kits but there are kits for the valves, and plunger kits, with some kits costing more than half a replacement pump.

I haven't priced having a shop do the rebuild but I assume it'll cost more than just buying a replacement off eBay (~$200).

What I need is some direction and confidence in picking the right overhaul parts, and any tips to avoid any surprises.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-17, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If it is low pressure 90% of the time, does that mean it sprays full power the other 10? If so, I'd say you probably could take it apart and find the problem, maybe a bad check valve or broken spring or sliver of o-ring getting caught somewhere. I have never built one, I have repaired a few.

Old 08-23-17, 06:10 AM
G
It's gotten progressively worse over the past couple years. It used to spray full pressure with just a brief hiccup and this year it has gone rapidly from that to the exact opposite--constant low pressure with an occasional surge to full.

I could spot a broken spring or O-ring but I wouldn't know a bad check valve or worn pistons/sleeves if I saw them, since I've never had one of these apart.
I wish parts weren't so expensive--I'd just replace all wear items, even if not needed. By then I'm at 75% of the cost of a new pump.

Old 08-23-17, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those are good pumps and if the full pressure you get is sufficient pressure when you do get it, then your pistons and major components are probably all fine. Most likely you have a piece of something stuck in a check valve or broken spring, etc... Take it apart and look for something that isn't right, what have you got to lose?

Old 08-24-17, 06:32 AM
G
The 2 kits I've seen available were parts for the triplex pump but I've seen no mention of parts for the integrated regulator. Could the problem I've described be blamed on the regulator?

Old 08-24-17, 10:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be. Might be something hanging up in the regulator or unloader valve. Some of these valves have O-rings on the moving parts and I've seen a sliver get shaved off of an o-ring and get hung in the valve, causing intermittent low pressure problems like yours. You can pick up a matching o-ring at a local auto parts store if that's the case.

Old 08-25-17, 05:35 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I would start by taking apart the easy things,remove the regulator,have a look under the 3 brass caps,I assume you flush the chemical feed out with fresh water after every use,I believe there maybe a ball check there that often gets corroded and sticks.
Look at it the way I do,it's not working now so you can't make it worse.
What is the Mdl.# of that pump?
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: