John deere x304 riding mower stalls under load

Old 03-10-18, 08:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question John deere x304 riding mower stalls under load

Mower: John Deere x304 Engine: Kawasaki FH491v-DS04-R
Mower starts fine and engine runs normally. However late last summer the engine started bogging down and almost stalling with the blades engaged after it was warmed up. There was no stalling with the engine cool. The engine runs normally when blades are disengaged after bogging down.
I've replaced the fuel filter and spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and on top of the deck. Engine still boggs down.
Help! Could one (or more) pulley bearings be causing the problem or could it be engine related?

Old 03-10-18, 10:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chances are more likely it is deck related....back the tractor up to a tree and try to push it over, if the engine does not bog down...or the tree falls over, the problem is not the engine

Old 03-10-18, 11:54 AM
No trees were harmed. There was slight (very) play, maybe 1/8” at most, in one of the blade shaft pulleys/ bearings once I got the belt off. The pulley would move before the blade started turning. It wasn’t bad at all. That’s all I could see. The rest of the pulleys rotated without grinding or free play and seemed fine to me. Wondering if that’s enough to cause the motor to bog down. The belt also looks a bit worn. Another source of the problem?

Old 03-10-18, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
When it starts to bog down, does it help if you give it a little bit of choke? You might be developing a vacuum in the tank or having a low flow condition from the tank to the carb.

Old 03-10-18, 01:00 PM
I’ll try that next time it happens

Old 03-25-18, 09:33 AM
Using the choke seemed to help a bit. I'll try cleaning the cap. Is there an easy way to get at the gas line? It seemed like JD put the frame around the tank and the line. I'll see if there's a relatively easy way to drop the tank.

Old 03-25-18, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
There's not any really easy way. You can use a double hose barb and connect the new fuel line to the old one and as you snake the old one out, it pulls the new one in.

Old 03-27-18, 12:35 PM
ok -- maybe when I want to get into more trouble (I mean have more fun )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: