fuel on foam filter

Old 05-11-18, 01:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fuel on foam filter

Last year I got a new power washer from Sam's Club with a Honda engine. I used it one time. when reviewing what to do when finished using it it said to turn off the fuel line. However I forgot to do that and the foam air(?) filter got saturated with gasoline and was dripping on the ground. I wasn't sure what to do about it so I decided to do some research and deal with it the next day. Unfortunately I never got back to it and it stayed in my garage until now when I'd like to use it. I haven't tried starting or anything and I'm trying to figure out what to do at this point so as not to ruin it or make matters worse. Any input is appreciated.

Old 05-11-18, 01:54 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Check the filter for deterioration. If it was saturated with ethanol gas for an extended period the material may have been damaged. Playing it safe would be to replace the filter. They're not too expensive.

With that type of leakage, getting gas in the oil is pretty common so an oil change is a good idea.

With the filter in good shape, change the oil, start it up and go. The gas shouldn't have leaked in the first place, but it happens. Shutting off the gas is a precaution.

Old 05-11-18, 02:52 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Float needle in carb may not be closing. Had this happen a few days ago. A new carb corrected the problem. My pressure washer had been out of use for a few years. There was corrosion in the carb. This may or may not be your situation.

Old 05-11-18, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
As mentioned above, It should not leak even if the valve was left on. Most mowers don't even come with a shutoff. The carburetor float needle is leaking for some reason. Probably just varnish or a piece of trash in it but it needs to be cleaned. Make sure there is no gas in the oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: