Faulty seat switch on mower

Old 06-22-18, 02:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty seat switch on mower

Hi everyone,

Ive had a few posts on here and think I may have finally pinpointed this tricky problem with my Simplicity Regent tractor.

Problem: sometimes it starts sometimes it doesnt. Pretty vague huh? Essentially sometimes when I turn the key there's a click and the battery engages the engine to start. Sometimes when I turn the key - nothing. Silence. Not even a click.

So today I got it randomly started and rode it for a bit. Then while still sitting on it, turned off the engine. Immediately tried again. No cilck. Silence.

I "think" it may have somethign to do with the seat pressure switch and/or the brake engagement. I think these two might be tied together. Essentially the tractor doesnt think I'm sitting all the time.

Anyone know what this is technically called and how it works? I flipped up the seat and dont see any sensor outisde of the seat. Just some wires that go into the seat. Looks like I can open it up.

Could this be the problem?

Old 06-22-18, 03:19 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Not only could be, often is. If it's an old one, it would be best to replace the switch. It's central to the safety circuit on the machine.

You may get a little relief by forcing weight on the center of the seat with your palm - like rabbit punches. Replacing the switch will likely work better.

Old 06-22-18, 03:20 PM
B
UPDATE: I disassembled the entire seat above and below. And alas I dont think its the seat sensor. Doesnt seem to be stuck. Im back to thinking its the battery. The battery tests out fine at 12V. But sometimes I do hear a click and then nothing.

So back to thinking its a power drain somewhere.

Old 06-22-18, 03:40 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
There is a small wire on the starter solenoid. It would be between the battery and starter with two cables hooked to it. Use a short wire and jump from the cable coming from the battery to the small wire post on the solenoid. See if that spins the engine over.

Old 06-22-18, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The seat switch has nothing to do with the starting circuit. Only the brake and the PTO.
IE: You can sit in the seat and not be able to start unless the brake is pushed and working, with the brake set the seat does not matter.

Old 06-25-18, 09:08 AM
B
ok thanks everyone. I did open it all up and checked it out. Not sure if I did anything but it seems to be working now. thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: