Hydraulic Leak

Old 07-29-18, 12:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Hydraulic Leak

Tractor hydraulic fitting was leaking today, o-ring had torn.

I found one in my parts bin that fit but no idea what type of material.

Are hydraulic o-rings unique that I should replace?

Old 07-29-18, 02:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Not all O-rings are the same. For my tractor I try to get O-rings from a local shop that builds hydraulic hoses. That said, if it's not leaking I'd call it good enough. Hopefully the one you used will hold up well.

Old 07-29-18, 04:28 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
The extent of my knowledge is that o-rings are made in a variety of materials for a variety of applications, and that they can be stretched, so what appears to be the right size may or may not be. So if I were in the process of rebuilding say a hydraulic pump or something of that nature I would do my best to track down the correct o-ring. On the other hand, if it were something that was more readily accessible, no lives or limbs were at risk, and I figured I would know it didn't work before running into catastrophic failure, I would not hesitate to try one that I had. Otherwise we may as well back the truck up to the shop and start loading it up for the scrap yard, because why are we holding onto all of those bins, boxes, and drawers full of stuff that "we might use someday" if we're not going to use it when the opportunity arises?

Old 07-29-18, 11:35 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
why are we holding onto all of those bins, boxes, and drawers full of stuff that "we might use someday"
Aman to that, seems to be holding.

The color was the same, will just keep a eye and see what if anything happens. No idea where these o-rings are from, parts bins were hand me down from my Dad!!

Old 07-29-18, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Unless the oring was made for a specific application or the application requires a specific o-ring, they are pretty interchangeable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: