Chain saw Fires up with Fast idle like ready to saw idle

Old 11-16-18, 01:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chain saw Fires up with Fast idle like ready to saw idle

Hey everyone I have a Poulan 2150 that i picked up from a garage sale. It was running fine when I bought it. the guy said he installed a new carburetor on it and it sounded smooth and I even got to use it up until it ran out of fuel. I filled it back up with new mixed fuel 50:1 and got to use it some more. I think it sat for maybe a month and i went to use it again and it's been outta wack since. As of now I don't have an issue starting it, I have an issue getting it to settle down to a low idle. last time I used it i literally fired it up and started sawing away at a few limbs with out having to pull the throttle.

I figured this is getting pretty dangerous and probably not healthy for it either so time to see what advise i can get.

I have tinkered with the carb screws. I turned them both in till seated and back out 1 1/2 turns and tried the screwing in and out of the L H and the even had the Throttle screw all the way out. messing with the L in and out only seems to make it rev up more but not slow it down, same with the H. the only time i do get a a drastic result is practically re seating the screws. would it be possible i have a cracked block or something?

toss me some ideas please

Old 11-16-18, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Many saws have a system that sets the throttle to a higher point for starting. On one of my saws it's when the choke is at the middle position. After it warms up a few seconds at high idle I flip the choke to full open (choke off) and the idle settles down to a slow idle. I have another where the starting procedure is to hold the throttle full open as you close the choke. This holds the throttle partially open so even when you let go of the throttle the choke linkage is keeping the throttle partially open. Again, the idle returns to normal when the choke is turned off or if I rev (pull the throttle trigger) the engine.

Old 11-16-18, 05:43 AM
M
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Two things come to mind. The throttle linkage is either binding or something is holding the throttle open. You can check that by taking off the filter cover. That shows the carb, filter, linkage, etc.

If that is moving freely and the throttle closing fully, you likely have an intake air leak. Since you have a recent carb swap, the two bolts that hold the carb in place may be loose.

Old 11-16-18, 07:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marbobj, I think you may be onto something with the air leak and perhaps loose carb. I'll try to check into that as soon as I get a chance and check back in with you guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: