'99 B&S 19.5 hp Craftsman mower won't start.

Old 05-02-19, 02:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'99 B&S 19.5 hp Craftsman mower won't start.

So I jump started it after the winter and it started just fine. Then I had to move it. WHile unloading it rolled down the loading ramps kind of hard, but didn't seem bad. Now it won't turn over even with a fully charged battery. No clicking, nothing. I tried jumping from battery to starter and at first it turned over then wouldn;t even do that. I ordered a new ignition switch since the old one was pretty shot anyway. That didn't do it. I bypassed the safety switch on the seat and have physically checked the PTO safety switch but haven't bypassed it yet.. All connections are clean and tight, battery, solenoid, starter.... Any thoughts??

Old 05-02-19, 02:37 PM
T
Just hooked up battery again... now it clicks.. The clutch safety switch wasn't on... still doesn't turn over..

Old 05-02-19, 05:46 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Welcome. Sounds to me like the battery, a bad connection, or a loose or frayed wire. A fully charged battery is not necessarily a good battery, so take it by your local auto parts store or independent lawn equipment dealer, and I can't say for certain because I have my own load tester but as far as I have ever heard they will check it for you for free. After that it's time to go through all of the connections again, including the ground from the battery which may be down in the grime. And at some point in there reconnect your seat switch. Fine to rule it out, but it's there for a reason.

Old 05-02-19, 07:45 PM
T
Thank you Pedro...
If it IS the battery, it should still jump start, correct?

Old 05-03-19, 04:52 AM
A
One would assume so, but who knows, so as simple as it is to do I would have it checked to be sure. The only problem I see is, and understanding that jumper cable clamps generally grip pretty well, you're nevertheless introducing temporary connections into a diagnostic process. But if you want to go with that for now, okay, then it's time to double check all of your connections and wires. Follow your wires, and pay particular attention to where they might be tight around the frame or whatever; could be one that is worn through.

Old 05-03-19, 05:39 AM
A
By the way, the reason I would be thinking wires and connections is that you said it clicks, and it wouldn't if all of your safety switches are in the right position. But, since it sounds like it might have thunked pretty good when it went down the ramps, depending on how it landed, what hit first and so on, I would also look at the clutch and deck switches, in particular whatever lever actuates them because maybe something is bent or tweaked enough that you have a situation where one of them is not fully actuated, allowing only some current to pass.

Old 05-03-19, 10:02 PM
T
Well, I did try starting with all switches both on and off... When any switch is off, there is no "click" when I turn the key to crank the engine. With all 3 switches ON, there is a click. The 3 switches I know of are the seat, clutch, and PTO safety switches. I haven't had time to mess with it today, maybe tomorrow afternoon.. I;m almost hoping the battery isn't good under a load... I have a load tester, but have no idea where...lol and I just moved. A new one is around $20 and a new battery is not much more, so I'll have the battery tested at Auto Zone or Checker tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: