A weed trimmer with a head that feeds?!

Old 06-01-19, 08:07 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question A weed trimmer with a head that feeds?!

I currently have a Ryobi gas trimmer that runs like a top, but I'm damned if I can get it to feed line without it binding up in the head. With my previous Ryobi, I was able to replace the factory head with an Oregon one (recommended here), but the manufacturer (of course) changed the design so that the Oregon replacement can no longer be used. Sooo, can anyone recommend a gas trimmer they have used that feeds without binding? I have a half-acre lot I need to trim each year, and I need a trimmer that won't slow me down with poor design. Many thanks.

Old 06-02-19, 03:50 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I have an expensive WORKS trimmer and I also have a similar problem. Not binding so much as just not self feeding. Cause for some of the problems...Low battery power, old trimmer line. Keep your spare trimmer lines in a cool dark place for storage. Trimmer line is suppose to be bio-degradable. Over time it will begin to soften and stick to itself. Also keep your head unit clean and clear of grass when not in use. If you wind your own line use only half as much as a new spool would have. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-19, 04:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have Stihl and Honda trimmers and both feed reliably. But... the key is to properly wind the line onto the spool. You have to good tension on the line when you're winding it on and make sure it's wound on smoothly. Then get the spool loaded into the head while holding tension on the lines. Only when the spool is in the head should you let go of the tension on the line.

Old 06-02-19, 05:14 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Both of my Echo's feed fine, and I suspect that most brands do, but I had to learn the "tricks", so just echoing what the others have said. First thing, as Pilot Dane described, is keeping the line straight and taut through the winding and installation process. Secondly, as Norm mentioned, the wraps will stick to themselves over time, particularly in warmer environments, so storing it wherever as cool as possible helps. Because I don't use a trimmer as often as a lot of people, mine will sometimes set for a month or so, particularly in the hottest weather when things aren't growing as fast. So with the hotter temperatures and the trimmers hanging on the wall for several weeks straight, I have found that it's worth a couple of minutes to undo the head, unwind and rewind the string, and reinstall the head before I start. From there on they work great.

Old 06-02-19, 01:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have also learned that in use the vibration can melt/fuse the line together slightly causing it to stick and not feed properly. Even if the line is still there it helps if you occasionally tap to dispense more line. I notice this most when trimming nothing but grass as it doesn't wear down the line like stone or concrete. When trimming hard surfaces you need to index more line anyhow and it isn't an issue.

Old 06-02-19, 05:49 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your last tip may be the deal; the manuf. recommends 25 ft. of line, but per your note I'll use half that and see if that helps. Otherwise, the Ryobi is a good little homeowner tool. Many thanks for the reply!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: