Toro Battery

Old 06-13-19, 09:49 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Toro Battery

I ordered a battery for my toro HMR from a dealer. It had to be shipped dry, but they didn't fill it completely up to the minumum fill line. Can I fill it properly with just distilled water, or do I need to get some electrolite to do it?

Old 06-13-19, 09:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
At first fill I only use acid. You use distilled water to top off what has been cooked off by charging. Adding water at the first fill will make the specific gravity of the electrolyte always be a bit low (when it's filled to a higher level). Or, you can just accept the current fill level as your new normal level.

Old 06-13-19, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Agreed, it should be filled with acid the first go around. You don't really want to top off with acid over time as you refill because you will make the acid concentration stronger and stronger, eventually leading to premature failure, but it won't be as strong as it should be if you add water to the initial fill.

Old 06-13-19, 01:00 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Thats what I thought too. I have a friend who owns a NAPA franchise. He didn't necessarily want to bring in a 5 gallon bag of acid for just me, but he is. He said the batteries he normally gets in are already filled, but he agreed with you guys about the initial fill. He said he would only charge me eight bucks an ounce lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: