Kohler Twin Backfire

Old 06-15-19, 05:01 PM
W
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
Kohler Twin Backfire

I was looking for help last year on a 1989 Kohler 16hp twin that was backfiring when starting. Cheese said it probably was fuel leaking from the Carb back into the engine. I took the carb apart and found the float was way above level. I adjusted it so it was level and 3 things happened. It stopped backfiring on initial cold start, It ran a lot better, but if I shut the mower down and then had to restart it, it would backfire loud enough to wake the dead. Before I take the carb apart and set the float lower, is there anything else that your experience I should look into as a cause of this? If I wait for it to cool down completely, it starts just finewith no backfire. The engine was completely professionally rebuilt last year with new rings, valves, seats, guides, gaskets etc.

Old 06-15-19, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
Have you serviced the points and condenser lately?

Old 06-16-19, 01:19 PM
W
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
Chuck I thought I replied to your post this morning but I dont see it here. This Kohler has a Solid state ignition which was replaced right after I did all the other work last year. I did not see a twisted flywheel key, and don't know what else would affect the timing (Just when it is HOT) It really runs well otherwise.

Old 06-16-19, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
Slow cranking (low battery or dragging starter) can make it more likely to backfire. Also you might try a different spark plug, just a regular champion. Closely mounted muffin type mufflers can also increase chances of backfires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: