I have a lawn tractor with B&S engine 28Q777-0681-01

I want to get the right fuel filter.

Looking on line, this page:

https://www.repairclinic.com/ProductDetail/775688

lists both 394358S and 298090S
Amazon shows those as 75 micron for 394358S and 150 micron for 298090S
https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt.../dp/B001C9AVTS
https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt.../dp/B0035PU5UC

1 of those pages talks of for use with fuel pump. I don't think the tractor has that (there's just a hose from the gas tank through the filter to the carb).

And a much bigger filter that looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt.../dp/B0035PVVBY

is what's installed (that's listed as 40 micron). And somehow I bought that 691035 filter also. not sure how I came up with seeing that was needed for the tractor.

Am I wrong? the first 2 are really small filters - I'm used to seeing that size on lawn mowers, etc?
A tractor uses lots of gas / you want more surface area so you don't have to keep replacing the filter. So that bigger filter makes sense for size, but that's not the right one.

And 40 micron vs. 75 vs 150. 150 will allow bigger particles / more junk getting into the line? 40 will trap more things to a smaller size so that will get clogged faster. So I guess that goes with the larger size?

Which one do you suggest? Like an air conditioner filter in the house - filter out smaller things is good, but it clogs quicker?
How often do you change fuel filters (especially for the first 2, you can't see the filter media to know how clogged it is.)

THANKS!

Old 07-31-19, 05:35 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
The one you have sure looks as good a fit as any so I'd go with it. Not saying that fuel filters aren't beneficial, but, as far as I know, they're not going to prevent the probably biggest culprit, ethanol, and they're obviously not going to do anything about varnish that develops in a carburetor when fuel is left in it for too long. So I'd give what you have a shot, make sure your gas can(s) is/are clean, use no or low ethanol fuel, don't buy more fuel than you will use within a reasonable amount of time, and you should be fine.

EdShnatter voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-19, 06:10 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If you have an existing filter just take it to your local auto parts store.

Assuming it's an inline 1/4" see thru filter they have a wide variety for around $5!

Old 07-31-19, 10:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I'd just grab a filter from the auto store too. The micron isn't really important. The jets in the carb are large enough to pass anything that comes through the filter. It being a lawn tractor isn't going to change the filter size requirement.

Old 08-01-19, 09:17 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks guys! I just get frustrated with the fix 1 thing (in this case - filter the gas of dust / dirt) but it causes other things - over time, i guess it can get clogged / slow the flow.

I see filters on loads of engines. But yeah, why not just skip them? 2 more connections in the hose for a potential leak / replacing the filter with a dried out hose, then you have a leak. Steady flow of gas and for the trouble of installing a filter / replacing it, it doesn't stop some common problems.

Old 08-01-19, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I see all kinds of garbage in people's gas tanks and filters. They do prevent problems for sure. The stuff that looks like it doesn't have a filter really does. The tanks have screens on the inside at the fuel outlet. Some are removable, most are molded into the plastic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: