Crafstman 32cc Weedwacker wouldn't start

Old 08-18-19, 01:31 PM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Crafstman 32cc Weedwacker wouldn't start

I had no spark, measured a resistance of about 5k ohms on the Champion RCJ-6Y spark plug, so I thought the plug was good. I then assumed the coil was bad. For the heck of it I cleaned the spark plug with sandpaper, and it started. Stalled, difficult to start again so I'll buy a new spark plug. I should have been able to read very high voltage between the spark plug wire to ground while pulling, but did not which is why I first assumed the coil was bad. It should have pinned the needle on an analog meter on it's highest AC scale, correct?

I know there could be other factors for the stalling, thought I'd start with a new spark plug first.

Old 08-18-19, 03:37 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Sounds like a dirty carb/faulty fuel pump diaphragm.. If it's an older machine, the cheapest way to go is put a new carb on it.

Old 08-18-19, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
" It should have pinned the needle on an analog meter on it's highest AC scale, correct?"
No.
Best way to check for spark is visually.
Sounds to me like you have spark and I agree the carb and fuel lines probably need replacing... those are the usual culprits.

Old 08-18-19, 06:06 PM
S
I have a feeling after the spark plug replacement I'll have the same trouble, so I'll look into the fuel lines/carburetor next.

Old 08-25-19, 11:12 AM
S
Replaced the spark plug, same. The lines from the primer bulb and carb seemed ok, not brittle and fuel came out the line from the primer bulb when pressed.

Then I noticed a piece of what I believe is the thinner line in the fuel tank. Some of the fuel is from last year. When I drain the tank can I pour it into the fuel container I use for the lawn tractor? Don't know if the gas/oil mixture would be bad for it. I have just a bit of fuel in that tank. Probably should fill it (5 gal) after I pour the gas/oil mixture in it.

I found the fuel filter in the tank of course with nothing connected to it. I assume the thinner fuel line connects to that. Does it just lay freely on the bottom of the tank? I'll need to get new fuel lines.

Old 08-25-19, 12:51 PM
M
I assume the thinner fuel line connects to that. Does it just lay freely on the bottom of the tank? I'll need to get new fuel lines.
Yes, yes and yes. Start with new gas each year and only mix one gallon of gas/oil at a time - less if you don't use much.

The gas/oil mix won't hurt the lawn mower, although the age of it has probably compromised the quality.

Old 08-26-19, 03:25 PM
S
Replaced the fuel lines, the packaging said a 'Universal' set of 2 different diameters. I wonder what universe, what a pain getting them on the primer bulb, fuel filter and carburetor! They seemed to be a size too small, had to use a heat gun and nail to slightly (carefully) widen the ends where they attach.

It runs now, but applying more throttle it will stall, sometimes even without applying more throttle. I did not change the fuel filter. I wonder if that's worth a shot.

The 2 cycle container is now empty. It's a gallon so will fill it when I can. It won't go to waste, some will be for the chainsaw. Good to know I can pour the small amount that was in the weedwacker into the 4 cycle gas container.

Old 08-26-19, 05:33 PM
M
I wonder what universe,
That's good for an upvote, hands down.

Likely, you're back to the carb. It could have gotten dirt in it with the filter off, or it could just be fuel varnish. If it's an older carburetor, the diaphragms may be stiff and not working like they should.

You can try a little Sea Foam in the gas, but don't over do it. Usually if it comes down to cleaning an older carb, by the time you get the kit and cleaning it's cheaper to buy a new one. Just replace it and you're done. If you go that route (and it's pretty common) you may get accessory stuff, like a filter and lines with the carb.

Old 08-26-19, 06:21 PM
S
Yea I'm thinking now the new carb would have been the way to go - especially if it includes fuel lines. And like you said - it likely has dirt in it. The fuel I drained did not look good.

Old 09-08-19, 02:15 PM
S
Before purchasing a new cab I thought I'd try taking it apart. Cleaned it some more, now it'll run but the second I hit the throttle to take it off choke it stalls. I do still need to mix a new gallon of fuel with 2 cycle oil which I may do next weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: