Riding mower stuck in drive mode

Old 08-24-19, 02:02 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Riding mower stuck in drive mode

Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor 46” cut. Model LTX1045. Stuck in drive mode, unable to release to allow free wheeling. Unit was stored in my son’s back yard shed for two years unused.

Decided to pull it out and try starting it. Battery was dead. We dis-engaged the hydrosatic relief valve to allow free wheeling. Pushed the unit about 60 yards uphill to the garage. No problem. Began to try starting the unit with battery booster. Discovered the carburetor is gunked up with old gas. Starter fluid starts it but won't sustain it. Seems like no gas is leaving the carburetor. Spark plug is dry. That’s not my problem.

The hydrostaic release valve lever popped back into engagement as we were working on it. Paid no attention to that. However when we decided to move the unit into the garage for temporary storage while working on the carburetor, the release valve lever would not allow free wheeling. That’s my problem! Brakes are not engaged. Lifting the back end up allows the wheels to spin (each one in opposite direction). Any ideas on how to release the drive?

Old 08-25-19, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Does the lever actually move the shaft going into the transmission? Some have a spring on them and the lever moves but the actuator doesn't.

Old 08-25-19, 05:59 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
yes it seems to.
I found link on how to purge the valve but i'm unable to locate the same link.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: