ABS plastic vs gasoline compatability

Old 09-11-19, 12:55 PM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
ABS plastic vs gasoline compatability

As the title suggest is ABS usable (to a degree) with common gasoline? The material will not be immersed in the gas but is being used to block off the rear end of a gas can spout when inserted into the can for mobility. If you get my drift the spout is not going to be sticking our of the can but inserted completely into the can. Then capped off. See pics.The one on the right has the 3D printed cap attached.

Several charts indicate it is not. but several people claim they have had no problems with limited use. My use will be to fill the cans and transport possibly many miles and then the can may not be used for several weeks. I'd rather not leave the spout sticking out. Not a big deal but as a matter of convenience.

Any opinion?

edit...I suppose cork would've done the same thing. But hey, I've this printer and I'm going to use it.

Last edited by Norm201; 09-11-19 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
I wouldn't expect ABS to stand up well being immersed in gasoline. Used as a blank should be ok.

The link below is to a website that shows chemical interactions. You select "unleaded gasoline" in the first box and "ABS" in the second box. It comes back with a D rating..... not recommended for use together.

Chemical compatibilty database

Old 09-11-19, 05:47 PM
Yea, I saw that one. But the cap I made should never be in direct contact with the liquid gasoline. Over time I suspect it will break down. But I'll just print another. I appreciate your comments.

Old 09-12-19, 04:22 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
But I'll just print another
Print with nylon, no issues!

Old 09-12-19, 04:42 AM
Easier said than done. My printer can only use ABS or PLA. In order to use PLA I must buy a new print head. Not gonna happen. However, I forgot, my younger son does have a PLA printer. He'll do it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: