Pull starting issues

Old 09-22-19, 10:18 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pull starting issues

I have a log splitter with a Briggs&Stratton engine.
Model 215802
Type 0114e1
code 051101za
for the most part it will start fine. Then it seems to get into a mood to where it starts acting up, kicking back and destroying the pull start recoil, the dog ears and friction plate. It seems like i will go through a starter recoil about once a year. I try fixing the current on by putting new parts on it until it finally destroys it to the point of having to buy a whole new recoil. Why is this happening? I had a small engine guy tell me the valves need to be adjusted so I had him do it. Do they get out of adjustment that often? Its not like this is ran everyday. I split wood, realistically once a year, for a week or two... Its getting pretty sicking buying a new recoil every year!

Old 09-22-19, 11:45 AM
M
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
Usually the first stop on a kickback is the flywheel key. When those have sheared the flywheel rotates on the crank and advances the timing.

The next thing would be a compression release (if equipped with one) not working. You can take off the head to make sure the release is holding the exhaust valve slightly open for a short duration past TDC.

The valve clearance has to be correct for the compression release to work properly.Setting the lash with the piston 1/4 inch past TDC is pretty common.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: