Generator noise shield

Old 10-03-19, 09:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator noise shield

once in a while we camp with our travel trailer In camping areas with no power. I ran a generator in the bed of my pickup last time and it worked great. I was thinking about building a sound shield / wall to put around it and was wondering if anyone else had done this and what kind of materials they used. Obviously something heat resistant on the exhaust side. It would be open on top but with a roof / rain shield. Thanks in advance....
TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-19, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
It is much harder than you think... I've tried several methods and didn't get satisfactory results, especially with anything easily transportable for camping. A larger muffler can help a bit but there is still considerable noise coming from the intake and radiating through the engine case.

My first and BIG recommendation is to buy a quiet generator. There are numerous inverter style generators that are nice and quiet.

Do not run the generator in the back of your truck. It's vibrations transfers to the truck body making more noise. Put the generator on solid, quiet ground.

The problem with a sound enclosure is you need a LOT of open space for cooling airflow. You really can't enclose a air cooled generator. You can build a wall all the way around it but at the minimum you need to leave the top completely open for ventilation. To be useful the wall needs to be pretty high and pretty solid. Nothing I consider transportable enough for camping though a open top box made of 1/2" Hardie Backer is about the most transportable. Still, I don't consider the noise reduction worthwhile for the hassle and bulk of transporting an "enclosure".

Old 10-04-19, 02:33 PM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
I second the quiet generator purchase as a start.
A lot of the better models (Honda, etc) drop RPM when not under load. This is a huge fuel and noise savings.

Old 10-05-19, 06:30 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
We use one of those quite units at our cabin. Although you can hear it, it is not bothersome. It's my understanding that many camp grounds have quite time and gens are not allowed to be run at off hours.