Tecumseh engine block: is it repairable? Costwise?

Old 10-04-19, 11:28 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh engine block: is it repairable? Costwise?

I have a Tecumseh engine block with a hole in it. I have the aluminum that fills between 95 to 98% of the hole. Where the hole is, creates some question about the block being repairable or cost effective. Part of the cylinder in the lower area is affected and where the lower crankcase pan attaches. If the aluminum were to be welded and additional aluminum added then grown down to make a matching surface that would allow the crankcase pan to fit right. Now to address the cylinder area. I thought if I get the cylinder area welded I would increase the cylinder bore by boring then put in a sleeve. Could a sleeve with the block welding overcome the lower cylinder weakening issues due to the damage? Would a sleeve cost way too much? How much cost would be involved in cleaning the block, and paying a skilled person to TIG weld? I have pictures that I can send.

Attached Images       

Last edited by fyzxman; 10-04-19 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Need to add pictures
Old 10-04-19, 12:44 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
It is junk don't waste a penny on it. Have a good one. Geo

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 10-05-19, 05:46 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
You are asking for opinions on cost and doables where the answers are determined by local weld/machine shops who can see the pieces. Some legwork is needed.You don't say what the engine is used for but personally I would just purchase a new short block. .

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 10-05-19, 06:26 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is not repairable!

Id also have concerns for whatever let loose inside the block!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: