Pressure washer pump questions

Old 10-10-19, 05:03 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pressure washer pump questions

Hello All,

My 5.5 hp gas pressure washer pump of unknown history had been blowing the same o ring over and over, after trying to find parts to rebuild the pump I found many of the parts were discontinued.

I replaced the entire unit with one from Amazon of the same specs. The new pump has a male quick connect fitting for the hose inlet and I cannot for the life of me find the right adapter to hook my standard 3/4" garden hose to the pump. Any insight?

Old 10-10-19, 05:43 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
I sold turf sprayers to golf courses in my working years. I had a customer call me who had broken a part on one of those sprayers. I had to call the manufacturer to try to track down where to find a replacement. It was then that I found that although the manufacturer was in the USA they were using a pump that was built in England. I cannot remember what the name of the English fittings were, but there was a company just down the road that could order them, (they were in a catalog that was huge.) The adapter you need is out there, you just need to know where your pump was made , and talk to someone at the company who built it who knows the name of THAT countries plumbing code to find the adapter to mate it to an American Made fitting like your garden hose thread. I know where that company is located, but will have to do a drive by to get the name for you.

Old 10-10-19, 05:52 PM
W
The name of the company is Parker Hannifin Corporation. Their local number is 419 878 7000. I think if you can get the spec on your pump fitting, they can match it to something you can use. They did it for me.

Old 10-11-19, 04:17 AM
R
Thanks for the response! I found a pressure washer "inlet tube" last night online so hopefully that works! It was about $25 and will take place of the quick connect fitting that came installed in the pump. None had listed thread sizes so it is still a gamble at the moment.

By the way the origin of the pump is china (to the best of my knowledge) The superceded Briggs part number for the original pump costs more than a new pressure washer. I did reach out for customer support for the new unit with no response.

Although i am still curious about this quick connect fitting because i am seeing a lot of pumps with this on the INLET side but have not been able to find a way to connect American 3/4 pipe thread to it

Old 10-11-19, 08:41 AM
W
Pressure Washer

I threw away two of the Chinese washers before i got smart and bought one made here that will take out a Hornets nest 40 feet up in a tree with the right nozzle on it. I use it to wash out mower decks primarily, but the Chinese versions just had no durability.

Old 10-11-19, 04:09 PM
R
LOL, I hear ya! Believe me Im not proud of it but for the price its worth a shot. It actually had good reviews. For my light duty needs around the house I am hoping it will be good enough.

On a side note, it does have a sight glass, and when left upright on a table I do see a small amount of oil in the sight glass. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much oil should be in the unit? And is it just regular gear oil or something special?

Old 10-16-19, 08:38 AM
R
Bumping to see if anyone knows how much oil should be in the pump? It does have a small sight glass

Old 10-16-19, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It should be halfway of the sight glass. I'm not sure what oil is in it, I think I've seen gear oil in some and SAE30 in others. If it's gear oil, the pungent smell should be obvious if you open the hole and give it a whiff.

Old 10-16-19, 07:23 PM
R
Thanks Cheese it does appear to be about halfway.

Old 10-16-19, 07:28 PM
R
One last question. What I believe is the Thermal Relief Valve has a round white plug with a tiny hole in it. Included with the pump was a round black cap with a nipple on the side. Am I supposed to put the cap on the valve? Or do I leave it alone?

Old 10-17-19, 09:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I'm not positive but I would think that would be to direct the pressure towards the ground when the pump is mounted in a position where it might spray out towards the user or a bystander if the relief valve opened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: