Weed whacker pull start

Old 10-20-19, 10:33 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weed whacker pull start

Hello,
my pull start was stuck so I took it off to see what was going on and eventually tore it all down and rewound it. I am having a hard time mounting the tension belt to the case and getting it to tension. If I have the belt out and watch the mechanism I see a small plastic piece is suppose to grab the nub on the tension belt. If I have it out with my hand Incan get it to grab but I can't drop it in place with it still holding. If I try to put the tension belt in the case, I can't grab the nub to tension it. Thoughts?

Old 10-20-19, 11:36 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
A make and model may help others help you.

Old 10-20-19, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Definitely some more info required. I can't picture what tension belt you're referring to on any weed wacker, unless you mean the recoil spring.

Old 10-21-19, 07:11 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello,
Thanks for the responses. This is on a Ryobi 25cc 2-cycle weed wacker from home depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-25...E&gclsrc=aw.ds)

You're correct about the recoil spring, bad wording on my part.

Thanks

Old 10-21-19, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
That's a tough task for someone who hasn't done it before and even those who have. I have used small zip ties to hold the spring in the wound up position and got it mostly in place, then cut the ties and pull them out with needle nose pliers. They aren't really made to come that far apart.

Old 10-22-19, 03:55 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
I looked at their parts diagrams but they show the recoil as an assembly so it was rather useless.
All I can tell you is what usually works for me on all types of recoils.

Wrap the cord around the pulley in the correct direction without the handle attached.
Place the pulley on the recoil spring,
I am not sure what you mean by nub but you should be able to get it to grab the spring when there is no tension on the spring.
You may have to lift the loose end of the spring up a bit , engage the nub and the quickly remove the screwdriver or whatever you used to lift it while pushing the pulley down.
Now rotate the pulley to tension the spring.
Once you get the correct tension use small needle nose pliers to grab the end of the rope and pull it out the hole.
Then attach the handle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: