band brake on garden tractor

Old 11-20-19, 04:18 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
band brake on garden tractor

I posted several questions a year or so ago on the early '60's Motomower lawn tractor that I was restoring for my wife, and am happy to say that I got all of the bugs worked out of it, successfully restored the original Carter carburetor, Kohler OEM vacuum fuel pump, point and condenser ignition system, Delco Remy starter/generator, got her running like a champ, fixed the leaking rear axle seals, bumped and painted the sheet metal, bartered something, can't remember now, for an all original John Deere 80 dump trailer, and the wife absolutely loves it. So life is good.

Now that it's pretty much parked for the winter though, there is one more thing to take a closer look at, and that is the brake. It has a band brake, about 7/8" wide that encircles an about 3-1/2" diameter hub on the side of the transmission. Motomower is long out of business and was never a real common name to start with, and finding anything specific to it is futile, so I took to the internet and have found some generic brakes on gokart sites that are close. The issue I have so far though is that the band on this tractor is welded to a bracket, so it's not as easy as finding a band brake that is close and make it work.

So I will keep looking, but is anyone aware of where I might find just the brake linings for something like this, and, assuming I do find them, is there an adhesive that would hold it in place, or would I need to drill and rivet it?

Old 11-20-19, 05:11 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
There are brake outfits that do that very thing. You can drill and rivet the lining to the band or use a high temp adhesive.

Truck repair shops in the area get into that type of thing. Try this outfit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KTExn9jVPf9gQD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: