Echo Backpack Blower PB-265ln

Old 01-09-20, 11:50 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Echo Backpack Blower PB-265ln

Anyone have any handy tips on putting in new piston and ring back in cylinder? I already broke a new ring. Gets kinda expensive. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-20, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
Do you have a ring compressor tool? If not I would try a hose clamp.

Old 01-09-20, 12:27 PM
D
I do but not for a piston that small. Hose clamp is a good idea will grease up the cylinder and clamp and give it a try

Old 01-09-20, 02:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
Hose clamps can have some rough or sharp edges on the inside so be careful not to scratch the piston. You might want to file/sand inside the hose clamp to make it as smooth as possible.

Old 01-14-20, 06:37 PM
O
Donít need a ring compressor.

Make sure that the rings are lined up to the pins (they arenít upside down) compress one, get it started on one side and hold slight tension on it, then using your fingernails press the ring in all the way around while lowering the cylinder head, use lots of assembly lube or petroleum jelly. Repeat. Just go slow and donít apply a lot of pressure, use caber rings or OEM, aftermarket rings can be very brittle and prone to this especially the cheap ones.

Old 01-21-20, 02:44 PM
D
Thanks, it is suppose to be an OEM ring? New ring should be here today, there is only one ring and no ridge or grove on the inside so should not make any difference which way it goes on. Will update on how it goes.

Old 01-23-20, 05:14 PM
D
Boy this was a learning experience. There is a pin in the ring groove and it must be lined up with the split on the ring and can only go in one way. Finally got it all back together. But now it does not run. It will fire on choke, then move the choke and will run but will not stay running unless I continue to flip the choke lever back and forth. Carb looks good, did check the diaphram and it was wrinkled but pliable, I did change it but still the same. Any suggestions before I take the carb completely apart?

Old 01-23-20, 06:10 PM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like an air leak, while it is running spray/dribble carb/brake parts cleaner along all mating surfaces when the engine tempo changes you have found the leak. Have a good one. Geo

Old 01-30-20, 11:20 AM
D
I pulled the carb and mounting block for the carb. Replaced the gasket on the mounting block, all services are clean and gaskets good. It ran but no power. Checked fuel filter and it seems clean, just seems like it does not get enough gas? Gonna pull carb and take apart. if not that could it be low on compression? Would that cause this?

Old 02-03-20, 06:13 AM
O
Get it leak tested

Check the torque on your head bolts first against OEM spec, normally they should not be any higher than 90 in pounds. Also make sure there is no grease or any contamination on the bolt threads. If you overtorqued the bolt threads then they wonít hold. Recommend taking it to a dealer to do a leak test if you check the torque and it is okay. A lot of them will do a test for cheap if you ask, like 20$. If everything is together like it should be it will pass a leak test and you can move on to the carb.