Chainsaw chaps for battery powered

Old 09-24-22, 04:08 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chainsaw chaps for battery powered

I just got a pair of Forester chaps, but have read they may not be effective for use with electric (in my case battery powered) chainsaws. Is this true and are there chaps for electric chainsaw use?

Old 09-24-22, 04:16 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Why would it really matter, a saw is a saw no mater how it's powered!

Old 09-24-22, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
What are you calling "forester chaps"?

You need chainsaw chaps or pants which are specially designed to gum up and stop the saw's chain before it can cut through the chaps. They are available in different styles. Chaps generally only cover the front of your legs with many offering wings that wrap around your inner calf to offer a bit more protection. There are also full coverage pants which protect all sides of your legs. Then, they are available in different protection levels (0-3) with higher numbers offering more protection. For the average cordless saw one of the lower levels should be sufficient because their chain speed is less than a gas saw. Higher levels of protection are required for larger displacement commercial saws. They do NOT stop snake bites.

---
I've had them save me. I had been working for hours, it was really hot and I had run out of water but there were a few more limbs that needed cutting up before I could carry them away. Cutting up branches not really thinking about it because it was such an easy job. Then my saw quit. I hadn't noticed anything wrong but there was a 6" long cut in my chaps and it had stopped the saw before cutting my leg. Replacing the chaps was much cheaper than the emergency room.

Old 09-24-22, 05:10 AM
B
Apparently there are differences related to torque and kickback and how certain chaps respond. Not so simple as “no matter how its powered”.

Forester is the brand name on Amazon. For some of their chaps on Amazon, the description for the item says not for use with electric chainsaws. I just went to the Forester website and asked them about this, waiting for an email response.

Last edited by beamhillrd; 09-24-22 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 09-24-22, 06:16 AM
B
Instructions concerning electric chainsaws and chaps

Scroll down to see info from Forester chaps re electric chainsaws

Old 09-24-22, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Is this true and are there chaps for electric chainsaw use?
I haven't seen any listed that way.

I normally don't post blog replies from other sites but the topic is covered well ..... here.

Old 09-24-22, 11:12 AM
B
Thanks PJmax. I had seen that site. It all made sense. I was hoping to find at least one more reference saying the same thing. Not much info out there on this.

Old 03-20-24, 10:05 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
I created an account just to be able to post this supply. American testing standards have not been updated to reflect protection against electric chainsaws, while the European standard EN ISO 11393 has updated this testing. That being said, it's basically impossible to find chaps rated to the European standard in America, because the US uses UL ratings, and the recommendation is to use chaps that are rated for your country's standards. The general consensus is that it is still better to wear chainsaw chaps with electric chainsaws, even if they aren't rated as such. It is possible to find brands in the US that do say they have tested their chaps against electric chainsaws (and you can usually find videos of their claims being put to the test), Clogger, for example, says their pants or chaps that feature Aresstex HP have been tested against electric chainsaws.

Unfortunately, it is an area that needs updated standards. Also, most major brands do incorporate a safety shut off now, so if the chainsaw senses excess resistance it will disengage the drive, although this still isn't the ideal safety feature.

Last edited by XSleeper; 03-20-24 at 10:22 AM. Reason: YouTube link removed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: