Leaf mulcher

Old 06-10-23, 02:15 PM
C
Received 349 Upvotes on 292 Posts
Leaf mulcher

Last year I paid $500 for leaf removal. This year the best I could do was $800. So now I'm looking for a leaf vac/mulcher. Most of what I see on line are either combo wood chipper/mulcher or cheapo undersized electrics. Anyone have a recommendation for a good stand alone leaf mulcher?

Old 06-10-23, 11:48 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I've had both, the electric would just jam up with twigs, and the combo mulcher/chipper was a pain to get all the leaves raked into central spots. I got rid of both and just run over them with the mower!

Old 06-11-23, 04:42 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
leaf mulcher

Another vote for chopping them up with the mower

WML13 voted this post useful.
Old 06-11-23, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,121 Upvotes on 1,899 Posts
I too use the lawn mower. I live in the country and mow in one direction so I keep pushing the leaves towards the forest. With the repeated mowing with each pass a major portion of the leaves get mulched and disappear into the lawn.

Old 06-11-23, 06:06 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I'll add to the count for using the mower. Its just what we do. After mowing season, we just leave the old blades on the Exmark Radius zero turn and run over leaves & any small sticks that the blades will chop up. Depending... we may go over it twice. Once with the deck up a notch or so higher than normal, then once at normal level for the yard.

If your intent is still to get a mulcher, I've never owned one so I cant help much. My brother owned a Troybilt from years past. I think he bought that thing back in the 80's. He wanted mulch for his garden. He'd let a pile of stick & leaves set for a while, then shovel them into the mulcher I think. Problem was he only used it about once or so a year so it sat up most of the time. He kept it until he past last year even though it wouldn't run anymore because he hadn't used it in 4 or 5 years.

Old 06-11-23, 06:52 AM
C
Received 349 Upvotes on 292 Posts
I use a mower on the leaves that are on the lawn. My problem is that I have a lot of leaves that pile up in areas where I can't mow like against stone walls where we have plantings. I was hoping I could find a leaf vac/mulcher at a reasonable price. I found exactly what I want but it was over $2000 so that's out.

Old 06-11-23, 08:08 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
They make leaf blowers that you can use to suck up leaves and mulch them. They have a bag to catch the results. Maybe that would work.

Old 06-11-23, 12:11 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have a lot of leaves that pile up in areas where I can't mow
Google Billygoat lawn Vacuum, if I was to get one that would be it!

But I'd probably consider a backpack blower to get the leaves into the yard first!

Old 06-11-23, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 731 Posts
I use a backpack leaf blower (Stihl) to move the leaves to where I can get them and then use a pull-behind leaf vac (Agri-fab) to suck them up. Typically takes me a day to do the whole 1+ acre yard that is full of white oaks.
I also have used the leaf vac hose to just suck up the leaves but you have to be careful not to suck up things you don't want to.

Otherwise, a walk behind lawn vac would be my next choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: