Kohler oil drain modification

Old 06-24-23, 10:53 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Kohler oil drain modification

I have a 24 hp Kohler command twin know in a cub cadet rider that has a funky oil drain valve. Why they made something plastic in an air cooled engine that runs hot is beyond me. I get the design idea but it has always leaked and is now cracked so Im going to modify it with an elbow and drain plug. I used to have one that had a ball valve (stayed plugged) that worked well. At a glance it appears to be 3/8 pipe thread. Ill have to take this valve with me to the hardware store for sizing. Just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this and how you might have modified it.

TexasFire

Appears to be 3/8 NPT

Old 06-24-23, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,189 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
Many of my machines have pipe nipples and valves on their oil drains. Valves make changing oil a bit easier but a simple pipe plug is less expensive and very reliable. For a couple machines I really like a valve because I have a hose barb on the outlet so I can attach a hose and direct the oil right into the catch pan.

Old 06-24-23, 07:41 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I installed a valve and put a plug in it. This will be a whole lot simpler. A 3-8 x 2 nipple, a 3/8 street ell and a ball valve. About $15 worth of fittings.

TexasFire

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: