Hit a big rock on my riding mower, makes a horrible racket

Old 08-22-23, 06:56 PM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Hit a big rock on my riding mower, makes a horrible racket

Hello all, I have a roughly 8 year old Craftsman 46 inch 19 hp riding lawnmower. I just replaced the spindles, belt, and blades yesterday. I was mowing and somehow hit a big rock. It was a round rock so I honestly think it rolled down my bank into my yard when we were weed eating. Now, when I engage the mower it makes a horrible racket. It initially made the horrible racket and when I looked back only one of the two blades was actually mowing. I shut the mower down and jacked it up. The blade was loose, so I tightened it up. Didn't make a difference. Neither blade looked bent from what I could tell . Do you think I broke my spindle somehow? I assume it wouldn't be the bearings on the spindle as they are new. Any ideas what I should look for? Thanks as always!!

Old 08-23-23, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 146 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Did you put the blade back on the locking star pattern before tightening?

Old 08-23-23, 01:49 AM
U
Yes I did

Old 08-23-23, 04:35 AM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Remove deck and blade belt. Check each blade is flat or correct. Check each blade rotates in the same plane or correct. Check rotation of each blade independently feeling for rough movement and correct.

Old 08-23-23, 07:12 PM
U
Thanks! I took the deck completely off and sat it on my sawhorses in the garage . The blades look good with the exception of where they hit the rock. The blades are a chipped up some. I did rotate the blades and the only difference I can see is the one blade spun a lot more freely than the other. Not sure what to do now. Maybe I can add a video to show everyone what's going on? Are videos allowed or just pictures?

Old 08-23-23, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 146 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Check for looseness of the spindles, cracks in the spindle housings, thin spots on the belt, put the blades together one on top of the other and see if they both match exactly, and make sure there are no places on the deck where a blade could be hitting. That will show a shiny spot under the deck where it's hitting.

Old 08-24-23, 02:23 AM
U
Thanks as always!,I'll probably mess with it again after work tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: