Kohler Air intake Screen

Old 10-28-23, 06:48 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Kohler Air intake Screen

I have a 1996 Simplicity Sunstar Tractor with a CH20-64512 Kohler engine. This engine has a metal intake screen between the engine and the Hydrostat with a drive shaft going thru the middle of it. I need to clean this screen but cannot see how to get to it to do so with the engine or tractor diagrams available online. It is covered on the sides and bottom with metal panels. The only access is from the top, but I cannot reach the bottom section of the screen from there. Is there a secret for doing this without removing the entire engine and drive assembly?

Old 10-28-23, 09:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 146 Upvotes on 135 Posts
I've never had to do one. Can you access it with a long thin metal tube on an air blower connected to your compressor air hose? Or reach a pressure washer in there?

Old 10-29-23, 08:01 AM
W
Hi Chuck, I probably could get the thin air hose powered tube in there, but I am concerned about where the material goes after I get it out of the metal filter itself. Unless I am wrong, fresh air comes in from the top of the tractor between the engine and the battery, hits this metal filter, and then gets blown FORWARD past the engine fins, and out the front of the tractor. ( Thats where I see the smoke blowing out when the leaves catch fire sitting too close to the two electric clutches mounted on the front of the engine). I cannot get the air tube between the engine and the filter unless I raise the whole thing up and maybe get it into the removable access plate covered hole that is there for greasing the drive shaft where it connects to the back of the engine. It just seems like the engineering team forgot to check the "ease of maintenance box" on the design sheet, This metal filter is not on any parts breakdown for either Simplicity or Kohler that I have in my possesion or have been able to find online.

Old 10-29-23, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You wouldn’t happen to have the information off the Sunstar it’s self. Model and or serial numbers?

Old 10-29-23, 02:34 PM
W
The Simplicity Model number is 1692135, but I determined after starting the cleaning process that the metal screen is the oil cooler for the Hydrostatic Transmission. I could not see the oil lines going into it as they were covered with clippings and leaves near the bottom of the metal case it rests in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: