What to use to bond metal to plastic and mend plastic

Old 05-20-24, 10:22 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What to use to bond metal to plastic and mend plastic

Not sure where to post this but since I am working on a lawn tractor, well, here it is.
I have a White brand LT1850 lawn tractor. The plastic side panels (left and right) below to hood is broken. Where the bolts go through the panel to fasten it to the frame the plastic is broken. I want to glob some material into the area to replace the missing plastic and then drill it out to put the bolt through. Therefore I need something that bonds to plastic and is fairly strong. My first thought is fiberglass mat and resin but would prefer something easier to work with such as epoxy.
Also, at the front of the tractor, on the bottom of the panels is a plastic "stiffener" part (I just found out that this is a heat shield) that is also broken. I thought I could maybe craft a new one out of heavy sheet metal or something. Not sure where I would find a form of plastic I could use. If I made it out of metal I would like to "glue" it in place on the bottom of the side panels. What would I use to bond the metal and plastic together.
If this makes no sense I will probably need to post some photos.

Last edited by sofasurfer; 05-20-24 at 10:44 AM.

Top Answer

05-20-24, 11:11 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
Without any pictures to go by I think your fiberglass idea is a good one. You can use epoxy resin if you prefer it over polyester. Since it's a mounting point that has already broken you should make your layup pretty heavy in the bolt area. You could even bond in a steel or aluminum gusset plate into the lamination to reinforce the hole area.

Before glassing make sure you properly prep the area with coarse sanding. If installing a steel or aluminum strengthening plate I'd also rough sand it as well on both sides. The thoroughly degrease everything with acetone.

Old 05-20-24, 11:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Without any pictures to go by I think your fiberglass idea is a good one. You can use epoxy resin if you prefer it over polyester. Since it's a mounting point that has already broken you should make your layup pretty heavy in the bolt area. You could even bond in a steel or aluminum gusset plate into the lamination to reinforce the hole area.

Before glassing make sure you properly prep the area with coarse sanding. If installing a steel or aluminum strengthening plate I'd also rough sand it as well on both sides. The thoroughly degrease everything with acetone.

sdodder, WML13 voted this post useful.
Old 05-20-24, 12:28 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Old 05-22-24, 10:12 AM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I just repaired the corner of a fiberglass fender with the Bondo Repair kit, (and reinforced it with some stiff aluminum screen matting. I was very impressed with how easy it was to work with (do it fast!) and how hard the material got after drying. I have also used JB weld fiberglas epoxy mix. It is still working too.

Old 05-22-24, 10:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, I would not use that product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: