Any way to fade exterior door paint?

Old 03-07-16, 10:05 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any way to fade exterior door paint?

So, we bought an oil based exterior door paint for our house in an attempt to match our shutters. Well, the door paint ended up drying much more vibrant and glossy - while the shutters are matte and somewhat dull. The door also comes off more red than our "cranberry" shutters. We feel the door will match in time, once it fades.

Is there anyway to fade this paint the door without doing it the old fashioned way (i.e. time)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-07-16, 12:16 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Is this door in direct sunlight with no roof over it?
Is there a full view storm door over it?
Reason I ask is when that door was new it it would have had a sticker on it stating to not paint it a dark color.
The higher the sheen, the easier to clean and less likely to fade as much.

Old 03-07-16, 01:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sheen only plays a small part in how/when a coating will fade. Cheaper coatings almost always fade sooner than their quality counterpart. Are they vinyl shutters? or have they been painted? are they faded?

Old 03-07-16, 02:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The door is in direct sunlight most of the day until it hits shade from a tree. I took the storm door off.

The shutters are vinyl. I used Rust-Oleum door paint - it was like $11.00. It obviously says "fade resistant" but I'm hoping at that price that it will fade some.

The door isn't super glossy but it is glossier than the vinyl shutters.

Old 03-07-16, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While a lot depends on how much sun and it's intensity, I expect that paint to fade sooner rather than later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: