BIN Primer over existing paint?

Old 03-08-16, 06:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
BIN Primer over existing paint?

So as a rookie DIY ten years ago, I had no idea the pine knots would eventually bleed through my light paint coats. I'm addressing this now. I have a can of the BIN shellac primer ready to go. My question is- do I necessarily need to sand off the exisiting paint and primer that's directly over the knots, before painting the BIN shellac on, or can I just skip that and paint directly over it on the spots in question? Hoping I can get away with the latter, even with a light sanding.
thank you!

Old 03-08-16, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's always good to lightly sand between coats. But no, you don't need to sand down to bare wood. Just scuff sand and hit it with primer.

Old 03-09-16, 08:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I would lightly sand the knots, primer and then lightly sand the whole surface prior to painting so it's a uniform surface for the paint.

Old 03-10-16, 06:37 AM
T
Ok, thanks so much guys, Im good to go now!

Old 03-10-16, 06:45 AM
W
Be sure to dust thoroughly after any sanding. BIN sands really nicely, but it really stinks so if you can open a window that's a good idea. Nice thing is the smell dissipates within a fairly short time frame due to it being denatured alcohol based.

Be sure to really, really shake the can of bin before opening and give a good stir after opening. The solids in that stuff really like to settle to the bottom of the can.

Old 03-10-16, 06:53 AM
T
Yep, love those tack cloths- can't never have too much on hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: