Painting a Steel Door

Old 06-06-16, 09:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Painting a Steel Door

I have a 13 year old house, and don't think the previous owner re-painted the steel exterior doors properly. (I dont think its the original paint job but could be..) When I wipe my hand across them it will be covered in a white chalk-like residue.

I want to re-paint them now that we have new super white garage doors (wife's fault backing into the old one). Does anyone have knowledge of what kind of paint would wipe off by hand like this?

I'm also wondering what kind of prep would be needed beyond washing the door first. The paint I have is a latex exterior paint by Sherwin Williams I believe with primer built in. Any tips for this job are appreciated, but I am not really interested in buying a new can of paint as Ive done all the wood trim work with it already.

Right now my plan is wash, scuff with 320, wash again, mask it, and paint (primer built in).

Thanks

Old 06-06-16, 10:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm not a fan of all-in-one paints like that. Sounds like your paint has chalked, so you want to scrub that off or add some Emulsa-Bond to the paint.

Old 06-06-16, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Most any paint will oxidize and produce chalk if exposed to the elements long enough. The factory primer that comes on the doors is only intended to be exposed for 30 days [?] Since it's just a door you may be able to use detergent and scrub off the chalk. Latex paint will not adhere well to chalk! When the chalk can't be removed you add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat of latex.

Which SWP latex exterior paint do you have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: