Lead Paint Encapsulating

Old 06-22-16, 02:30 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lead Paint Encapsulating

All: I am looking to encapsulate some lead paint on door and window moldings from a 1920s home. It has been tested and confirmed lead. Paint is in 99% great shape, with only a few flakes here and there on the top layer.

My question is, there are a few products out there with no real reviews on them. Examples include ChildGuard, LeadStop, LeadLock, and Insl-X Lead Block. These products are not paint, but actually water based products that are elastic with 20 year warranties.

Currently, I am considering the PrepLess Primer & LeadLock products by Global Encasement.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these products?

Old 06-22-16, 02:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Never used them but other than durability I would be concerned about how well you can paint over them.

Personally, with molding being the only surface involved, I think I'd take them outside and strip off the existing paint so you could say there's no lead paint in the house.

Old 06-22-16, 03:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always wiped down sound lead paint with a liquid deglosser and then coated with either a solvent based primer or oil base enamel. You do not want to sand lead paint!!!

Some locals require the lower sections of lead paint to be removed with the upper sections being encapsulated.

Old 06-23-16, 06:35 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can paint over them if needed, or even add tint to the products themselves. I only have white molding, so this is moot to me. Flexible encapsulants are a recommended method in my state (all 50 states according to these manufacturers).

I am definitely not sanding. This isn't a renovation project, and I am doing this to be proactive and of my own choice, so I want to minimize disruption (removal, wet scraping, etc.), especially since these surfaces aren't in bad shape anyways. Much easier to prime and paint good surfaces than wait until they deteriorate! This Old House and Bob Villa talk about them, but they reference ChildGuard and not LeadLock.

I'll give this post some more time; maybe someone will stumble on it.

Thanks for your responses!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: