Cleaning up a cast iron baseboard heater

Old 07-01-16, 05:57 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning up a cast iron baseboard heater

Hello,

I want to repaint my cast iron baseboard heater. I was thinking of using the high temp Rustoleum on it but first i need to clean it up. What is the best way to sand this rust off and create a smooth surface? With a power tool or by hand? What grit(s) would you recommend that would clean it up so that I can paint it? Thanks in advance! Name:  castiron1.jpg
Views: 4361
Size:  39.1 KB

Old 07-01-16, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,180 Likes on 2,855 Posts
I think I might consider paint stripper. Although since I have a sand blaster.... I'd blast it clean.

The Rustoleum paint for metal is a good idea.

Old 07-02-16, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
It will take more than stripper to get that heater in good condition to paint as the stripper won't remove any of the rust under the paint. I'd probably start with 80 grit sandpaper and finish with 180 grit. It can be sanded either by hand or with a sander although due to the contour there will be some hand sanding ..... unless you sandblast

Old 07-03-16, 04:07 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips. I ended up using my random orbital sander @ 80 grit. The "bubbles" are now gone but I'm not sure if all these spots will show through when I try to paint. I'm going to go over it again with my 120 grit paper and then finish up with 180. Do you think this will work as I'm doing it or should I be trying to sand the whole baseboard (even undamaged/spotted) more thoroughly?Name:  baseboard-sanded.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  32.9 KB

Old 07-04-16, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
If you brush on 2 coats those spots won't show much but if you use a rattle can they will. I'd back up and sand some more with the 80 grit. It isn't all that important to sand down the good areas but you want a smooth transition between the sound paint and the bare areas. If you take your fingers and run a thin rag over the metal and pay attention you'll get a better idea as to how smooth it is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: