Stain Advice Needed

Old 07-19-16, 07:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain Advice Needed

I have rough sawn bead board type paneling that I'm installing on my ceiling. I wanted to put a light protective finnish on it before I installed it. I chose to cover it with water based polyurethane. It looks good when wet but when it dries it doesn't look like I even put anything on it. Can I put a stain on over the polyurethane? I would like it too be more of a light honey color.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-16, 07:46 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Stain needs to soak into the wood, not going to happen with poly already filling the pores.
Had you have used an oil based poly it would have seasoned a light honey color.

Old 07-20-16, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Waterbased polys don't change the look of the wood any other than to give it a sheen. As Joe said, oil base polys both amber as the age and deepen the colors that are naturally in the wood. Applying oil poly now will give a slight amber effect as it ages but the water based poly will prevent it from deepening the colors in the wood. I'd be inclined to leave it be - you'll get used to the lighter wood color especially once you turn your focus to the next project.

Old 07-20-16, 07:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
How many coats of the poly have you applied? While I've never used the water based stuff, I have found there can be a vast difference in the end look if fewer than three coats are applied.

Old 07-20-16, 09:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Generally 3 coats of poly is applied to get a nice smooth finish but when the wood is rough sawn often one coat is enough to seal it. It really depends on how even or uneven the sheen is whether or not it needs additional coats.

Old 07-20-16, 09:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I thought it was probably too late to try stain. Like one of you said - I'll just get used to the lighter wood ! I'm not going to start over !