Can you tell if this is epoxy?

Old 07-20-16, 08:09 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you tell if this is epoxy?

I have the same type of coating on my garage floor and in my basement. In the basement, it is chipping and peeling very badly. In the garage most of it has worn away.

I've tested the basement and garage floors with two different lead test kits, and both came up negative. I'm still nervous that this could be lead paint, can you guys tell by looking what type of paint it might be, or if it is an epoxy coating?

My house was built in different parts. The main part of the house is 1920's or 1930's. The garage was a later addition, Maybe in the 1970's. After looking around, I'm starting to think this is an epoxy coating on the floor, and not a water or oil based paint.

Also, how would you go about cleaning up a basement with this type of paint chipping and peeling everywhere, in addition to the floor just being very dirty?

Here are some thumbnails that you can click on to make the images bigger. Basement on the left, garage on the right.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-16, 08:27 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I don't know when epoxy floor coatings were developed but they were not used in residential settings in the 1920s or '30s. Truth is, even in 1970 they would have been a very expensive floor coating in a residential garage. Because of this I would state the chances of the basement floor being epoxy are nil and the chances for the garage floor to be epoxy are quite slim.

I could be wrong.

Old 07-21-16, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You didn't say how long you have owned the residence. I doubt epoxy would have been used back in the 70's, but as technology developed and it became more affordable, it could have been done in epoxy in later years.

Old 07-21-16, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Back in the 70's it was commonplace to use an oil base floor enamel over concrete.
While it's easy to test whether it's latex or oil, I'm not sure how you would test for epoxy although it does have a harder film than the others. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Ideally you'd pressure wash to clean and remove any loose coating but while that usually works well in a garage, it's not a great option for the basement. I'd probably scrape, sweep and then re evaluate.

Old 07-21-16, 09:34 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

I've owned the residence for 9 years now. Based off what I have read here, and in a couple of other places, I really think it's an oil based paint. The paint chips are very brittle and crumble very easily.

This project sort of on the back burner right now, so I'm going to have to give it some more thought.