Using Zinzer bin over water based primer?

Old 07-27-16, 09:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Zinzer bin over water based primer?

A linen closet with cat urine soaked hardwood floor and sheetrock was left for years. I cleaned it best I could and decided to paint over it to try and seal in the odor. Today, I put 2 coats of zinzer bullseye 123 water based primer, with the intention of then painting it. However, I have since read that zinzer bin is the best thing around for sealing in cat odor. Can I apply this over the zinzer bullseye water based primer? If so, how soon?

Also, is it necessary to paint over the zinzer bin, or can I leave it without a topcoat, as cosmetics are not important here as it's not a visible area. Note that the area is subject to wear and tear as we use it for storage of heavy boxes, and I don't want the sealant to be worn down. If paint is necessary, what kind?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-16, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Generally any pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN can be applied over most coatings. Latex primers will neither adequately seal stains or odors. All primers including BIN should be top coated with paint! Primer will both wear and get dirty quicker than the appropriate finish paint.

Not knowing how thick you applied the latex primer, the drying/curing conditions and the fact that you applied 2 coats would incline me to wait 1 week before applying the BIN. The finish paint can generally be applied 4 hrs later.

Old 07-29-16, 02:12 AM
A
Thanks. Is there a way to check the primer to see when I can go ahead and apply zinsser bin, rather than wait a week? It went on thin aside from the corners where it was thicker.

Old 07-29-16, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can probably get by with applying the BIN now. The concern is if the latex primer if it's still soft [either on the surface or below] the pigmented shellac could prevent it from fully curing.

Old 08-01-16, 01:24 PM
A
Do you know if latex or silicone caulk would be able to seal in odors? I need to fill in some holes and cracks with caulk and wonder if the zinsser bin needs to be applied over it, or if caulk itself will trap in odor?.... Of course silicone caulk can't be painted over, but if it could seal in the cat urine, I wouldn't need to paint it anyway....

Old 08-01-16, 01:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't use GE silicone caulk! sooner or later you'll want to repaint that closet.

While caulking voids will help I don't know that it would stop the odor, definitely won't do anything for any urine that is soaked into the drywall.

Old 08-01-16, 02:43 PM
A
Okay good point.... Well, I waited 5 days from putting on the regular primer, and today put on 2 coats of BIN, several hours apart. I still smell urine on the floor. It's been a couple hours since the last coat. Should the urine already be blocked by now? It's definitely urine I'm smelling and not the paint, as the two are distinguishable..... I'm at wits end. Only thing I can think of is caulking in between the wood planks. There are very very narrow gaps which look like self leveled with paint, but maybe there are small voids I can't see. Perhaps I should caulk them with latex caulk and then recoat with BIN?.....

Old 08-01-16, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you apply the BIN liberally enough to soak into the cracks? Caulking the cracks will probably help.

Old 08-01-16, 03:03 PM
A
I thought so, but it's hard to tell because it's poor lighting in there. I guess more coats will only help? I might as well caulk the cracks first. How soon should the urine odor be gone after painting?

Old 08-01-16, 03:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Once the urine smell has dissipated from the air the odor should be gone if it was sealed by the pigmented shellac ... and BIN is the #1 coating for sealing odors. What about where the floor meets the wall - are those areas sealed?

Old 08-01-16, 03:14 PM
A
Yeah I put latex caulk in those areas and they were painted over with bin too. I'm using the dap kwik seal tubes, and am only assuming it's latex, as it says paintable and it's easy to cleanup...

How much stirring does the bin require? I use a mixer on my drill and mix it slowly for about 30 seconds.

Old 08-02-16, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as you've got the solids out of the bottom of the can and mixed them in well, that's all that needs to be done.

Dap Kwik Seal is a latex caulk, generally any caulking that cleans up with water is a latex caulk.

Old 08-02-16, 05:05 AM
A
So this morning the smell is gone! I guess it needed to air out. Now I actually feel like painting the closet and freshening it up. This BIN is great. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-06-16, 03:16 PM
A
I applied a top coat yesterday of valspar high gloss latex enamel paint and today the smell is back. Not as strong but noticeable near the floor. Any ideas why?

With the BiN, the first few hours after applying, it also smelled (same urine smell, not paint fumes) but next day it was smelling like a new closet. Is it possible, that since regular paint doesn't cure as soon as the bin, that it's going to smell for a few days? This particular paint says cannot recoat until 24hrs vs bin 45 minutes. It also says not to place any heavy objects on painted surface for 7 days.

I hope it's only temporarily smelly until it cures, but I'd like to know some logic behind it, as to why, after the BIN seemed to work, that the smell returns?

Old 08-06-16, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
If the original flooring and subfloor is still there, that's probably what you are smelling. Trying to seal the odors into a urine stained hardwood floor without actually removing the floor would be like trying to seal up the smell coming from a diaper pail without removing the diapers first.

Old 08-06-16, 06:29 PM
A
Well, that's exactly why products like bin were made for folks like myself unable to replace those. I applied the bin over the floor, which is supposed to prevent any odors below from escaping.

I have been reading that humidity can release the odor. Makes sense because the floor is still humid from the topcoat. Hopefully odor will go away again when it dries up.

Old 08-07-16, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible the urine smell is coming out elsewhere. It may have been limited to the closet but sealing up the flooring over it in the closet might allow the odor to dissipate thru the flooring in the adjacent room.

Ideally the BIN is applied directly to the substrate that soaked up the urine but as X stated that requires removal of the flooring in the affected area.