Latex paint peeling on interior doors

Old 08-18-16, 08:19 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
Latex paint peeling on interior doors

Interior doors were originally painted with oil base paint (so I was told), then were repainted years later with latex paint (so I was told). Within a week, a bump & a scuff here & there.... now the latex paint is peeling off in sheets. You can literally just peel it right off in sheets. However, it's not all coming off so easily. It will be very time consuming to remove it all off by just peeling it off the entire doors.
We are talking about maybe 10 doors.

Option 1: Buy new primed doors, paint & set new hinges etc, etc.
Option 2: Sand blast the latex top coat off
Option 3: Use a pressure washer to remove latex top coat
Option 4: repaint doors with latex paint still on (some paint peeled off, some not) with oil base primer, then oil base paint.

I think sand blasting will ruin the entire the door, wood, finish & all.
I think power washing will ruin these interior hollow core interior doors. I think they will water log, swell, eventually rot & come apart.
I think buying new doors & having to cut out for the hinges etc is going to be time consuming, not cost effective & a PITA.... more trouble than its worth when considering other options.

Option 4 is what three (3) painters have recommend under the circumstances. I don't buy it, but I ain't no painter either. I say, if the latex paint ain't stuck to the existing paint from years ago, its going to continue to peel off, therefore the oil base primer & paint top coats will also peel off with it.
Painters insist that putting on a coat of oil base primer, then a coat of oil base paint, should seal the paint/door & the paint shouldn't peel off.

In the end, what are your thoughts & suggestions? Buy new doors, sand blast, power wash, or repaint over latex with oil base primer & paint..... or other opinions.

I'm up for any reasonable, serious options at this point.

Thanks......

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-16, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
I would scuff off the paint that easily comes off using a synthetic steel wool pad, lightly sand it, then put on a primer like Zinsser Bondz, followed by the latex trim enamel of your choice...

If you prefer to be done with those doors, putting new doors on is always a good option, but comes with a whole new set of trials... fitting new doors to old frames is not always straightforward.

Old 08-19-16, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
The odds are decent that the latex that hasn't peeled or won't come off with aggressive sanding will stay stuck. I'd sand with 80 grit, coat with an oil base primer, sand with 120 and then repaint with latex.
#2 and #3 aren't options.

In the future anytime oil base enamel is to be recoated with latex you need to apply a solvent based primer first!