My shop laundry tub: clean or repaint

Old 09-10-16, 12:23 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My shop laundry tub: clean or repaint

I have this bathroom in my garage shop. The laundry tub has become pretty well dirtyed up...... for lack of a better word.Whats some of my options? anything you know, will make it look tons better,Its been there 20 years and i don't want to replaceit ................very badly, chime in on what others have done- or you or the guy accrosed the street. THANK YOU MUCH for reading this

ps; paint isn't out of the question yet.but how would you prepare a"plastic tub"??

Bob s

It looks much worse in person.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-16, 01:00 PM
I will follow this thread.

This looks just like mine, except cleaner/newer and your washer has a slightly higher amount of water per wash. Mine is in a laundry room and I have tried bleach, but not acid to see what will make possible to paint with an epoxy.

Dick

Old 09-10-16, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'd replace it Bob. Paint will not hold up on it.

Old 09-10-16, 01:40 PM
B
I worked with muratic acid all my life, It won't touch this plastic cleaning job. Iwas wondering about replacing it.............but..........this time with one of those .lets say very hard plastic ...i think. might be easier to clean up ?/I did plumbing service work for years.Saw Apainted one years ago.but dumb me didn't ask enough questions at the time. Maybe will get some more guys -interested in this thread . see what they come up with Dick. bob s

Old 09-10-16, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
For any type of paint to have a chance the tub would need to be clean and even then abuse that a shop sink often sees will lead to coating failure. I'd clean the best I could and live with it, otherwise the only other good option is replacement.

Old 09-10-16, 03:42 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Prestec will probably work. It is a catalyzed coating, fairly thick and once cured immune to most chemicals.

"Industrial & Wood Coatings, Polyester Manufacturer"

Extremely doubtful you will find it in any normal consumer outlet. You might try a company that specializes in fiberglass repairs.

Old 09-11-16, 08:10 AM
B
I am thinking "new tub" at this point For no more than they cost and how long they last .and even how much i will do it the future has changed dramatically.thanks all for your input i can always count on you guys problem solved bob s

Old 09-11-16, 10:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My shop/laundry sink gets dirtier than yours sometimes and I've been able to clean it.
I spray a bleach based cleaner or straight bleach all over it and let it soak, then scrub.
If it needs an abrasive I use Borax.

Old 09-12-16, 05:44 AM
B
I mixed vinegar dawn and bleach.and baking soda. Got overcome by the fumes mixing this stuff altogether Have this deep cough thats hanging on.Should be good in a few days. but do not reccomend this, concoction, bob s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: