How to paint interior doors that have been stained

Old 09-11-16, 04:55 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to paint interior doors that have been stained

My wife and I bought our house roughly a year ago. After doing the things you usually do after you move into a new house including painting and what not, if a door got bumped into or scraped with something the white paint came right off. Under the white paint is like a brown stain or something. It's hard for me to tell what it actually is. The interior doors were painted white before we moved in, but I also put a fresh coat on them to brighten them up. There is one closet door on one side of it is all brown. Doesn't really even look like stain. Looks like something possibly oil based. My house is too big to have to take each door off and sand everyone of them to get the paint to actually stick to it so when one of the boys or something bumps into one of them the paint doesn't scratch right off. Is there something else I could use?

Old 09-12-16, 02:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like someone painted over varnish/poly without the proper prep and primer

To successfully paint over varnish or poly you need to sand lightly and apply a solvent based primer before applying any latex enamel. Fixing this after the fact is a near impossible task. The best fix is to aggressively sand the doors with 80 grit sandpaper, prime, sand with 120 and repaint. The odds are what doesn't come off with the aggressive sanding will stay stuck. Short of that you can just touch up the skint spots as they occur.

Zinnser's PeelStop primer might help although it's geared more towards flat paint and I'm not convinced it will work well over enamel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: